• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel bending

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hentird

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have read on this site that bending smoothbores was one way of changing the point of impact. Is it possible to do this with a rifled barrel? I have a swamped Colerain barrel that shoots high to the right no matter how I move both front and rear site,put on higher front site and can't get the rear site any lower and still site it. I have also tried different thicknesses of patches and varied amounts of powder. Thankyou.

Yes, you can bend the barrel. However, if it were me I would send the barrel back to Colerain & let them do it & also let them check it for being bored correctly. Could be it is bored off center & if that be the case most likely they will replace it. I had one doing the same thing & it shot left & low about a foot. If it is a A weight barrel or a B 40 or B50 they are easily bent as they are thin walled. If it is a A weight most likely just this typing about it is making it bow. :)

hentird
Yes you can bend a rifle barrel the procedure is the same as bending smoothbores but since rifle barrels are usually thicker they require more power to make the bend. Someone posted a link on barrel bending here on the forums a couple of days ago that gave very good instructions. It's the same method I've used for a couple of barrels over the years. I can't find the link right at the moment though, maybe someone else can hook you up to it.

Regards, Dave

I'm not very high tech, I bend mine in the crotch of a tree. I know of another gun maker that raps his against a telephone pole..... :eek:

I have the same problem with a
trade gun that I've just finished building but I'm concerned about the barrel bending unevenly. The thickest part between the breech and wedding bands will undoubtedly be the last part to bend and the thinnest part at the wedding bands will probably go first. I would think that the ideal would be the portion forward of the wedding bands. Do you agree?

Did anyone have problems with dvlmstr's web location? I got popups that refused to go away. Be warned... GC

guncobbler
Sorry about that! I don't what was going wrong I just tried it again and went right to it with no problems.

Regards, Dave

In barrel bending care must be taken not to "over-bend" the barrel, so you don't have to bend it back the other direction...

:imo:It is better to do it in small flexes and check the point of impact (shooting) than to do it in a large bend and have to unbend it, this weakens the metal with unnecessary flexing...

Hello,
I have a smoothbore on the way :thumbsup: and I may haft to do this when I sight it in. When bending the barrel,Does it effect the fit between barrel and stock?

Hello,
I have a smoothbore on the way :thumbsup: and I may haft to do this when I sight it in. When bending the barrel,Does it effect the fit between barrel and stock?

You don't "bend" in so much that is can bee seen with the naked eye, just a little flex at the barrel goes a long way down range...

Having said that, if you bend it where a pin or wedge goes, you may be required to bend the pen/wedge a little too, the wood will flex some and conform to slight warping if the barrel...

I bend in the area approximately 1/3rd of the way back from the muzzle.

You have to know which ways to bend that barrel too, don't wants to add to the deviation. I'm thinkin one should bend it in the direction of the point of impact to bring it back on center.

Back