• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

barn raid !!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The amish school house accross from my house is having a "pest hunt" this is where they get points for shooting different pests like sparrows,rats,mice,crows,exc. So my amish neighbor asked me if I wanted to go shoot pests with him in his barn at night. I said sure that sounds like fun. we have done it lots of times before and we have always just used pellet guns. well this time i wanted something different. So i decided to use a 38 caliber smoothbore pistol. I didnt know how well it would pattern. my load was 10 grains FFF powder,newspaper wadding,20 grains #8 shot,newspaper wadding. I found that it patterned very well ! I was dropping sparrows at 10 yards like nothing. we then went down to his chicken coop and we had a hay day shooting rats. He was using 22 birdshot in his pistols. My pistol had much more killing power,dropping rats with authority. it was so much fun. In the end we got 13 rats,4 sparrows,and 4 mice. I shot the majority of them with my pistol. next I am going to go after a rabbit with it. I patterned it with 20 grains FFF and 35 grains shot and found that at 15 to 20 yards no rabbit is getting through my pattern. From now on anytime we go on a barn raid I will be grabbing my smoothie pistol as my "pesticator" :rotf: cheers SS.
2011-02-11_22-38-46_7721.jpg

Thats real neat, I enjoyed that. Reminded me of when we would shoot scores of pigeon on farms at night with flash light and air rifle. :thumbsup:

Brits.

When my Dad was a kid, say 11 or 12, he had a job after school at a farmer's barn. The farmer would provide .22rf ammunition & rifle, and he would sit in the barn and shoot rats. He got a lot of rats!

One of the most fun "hunting" stories of the season. :thumbsup:

Now, whatta ya gonna do with those hides? :)

Sounds like fun for sure...

(PS: You might check your regs to be sure BP handguns are legal for hunting things like rabbits there...they aren't allowed for anything here in NC.)

Now thats having fun the way we used to when I was your age. Good shooting :thumbsup:

GOOD EATING there!!! But really thats cool stuff. I used to shoot pigeons at night in my dads barn with my bb gun. Till he seen the holes in the roof from my "not so good" shots.. 10 yrs later He made me help him replace the haymow floor AND the roof...lol :shake:

we don't have rats like that. We have musk rats that are a water rodent. Those are the nasty rats out of bad dreams. Ron

Great shooting,glad that pistol is doing the job. Back in the day I used my sling shot or bb gun to get pigeons in the barns. PP Dilly

You have way too much fun. Keep it up! When I was a young adult up in Minnesota a friend worked night guard at one of the grain docks. They paid $1.50 bounty per rat.I would join him late at night shooting (what we called) Dog Rats, cuz they were big as dogs.

Back