• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bark tan vs. veg tan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently read that bark tanning and veg tanning are the same thing. Veg tan is simply a more recent name for the older process of bark tanning. Would appreciate some thoughts from forum members as to the validity of this statement.

I used to do most all types of tanning and could not really discern and difference between the wto "types" the basic elements envolved are the ame"tannis" whatever the source might be, some do have the advantage of adding more color than others to the leather at the same time it is tanned, "marmosa bark/root" from S America is one example, it can also be used to color allready tanned leather from other processes, I was fortunate to have been aquained and work occasionsly and learn quite a bit from a tannery chemist who used to make all the chrome tan kits for Tandy leather years ago, he worked from a rented storage unit here in the 80's-90's

Can you make a tanning liquor out of the "tan bark" used in landscaping?

Has to be made of hard woods, oaks, sumac and the like. Soft woods such as any of the pines have pitch in them that wont work. People have even used alfalfa to tan hides with. Free stuff like ground up oak bark works well. Big hides can take many many months to bark/veg tan. There are a lot of ways to do it, all of them are time consuming but you can make some really nice leather after a few attemps.

In the 1800's the Catskills were Brook trout heaven until the tanners came in and chopped down all the Hemlocks for the bark- to tan leather. Killed off all the brookies. In any event Hemlock bark had a lot of acid and was a common 1800's material.

Back