• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol fumes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use it, it does have a strong odor. Doesn't burn my throat, but does make my eyes water once in a while.
I don't worry too much about if game can smell it, as I think no matter what you use they are going to smell you if they get downwind. I do run some alcohol patches before loading to go hunting though, in an effort to remove some of the odor, but I mainly rely on constantly checking the wind direction and adjusting when still hunting. When sitting in one place I just accept that no game is going to come from my downwind direction and sit off to the side of the trail accordingly.

I have no faithful bond to the stuff though and may try some Barricade once it runs out. Read a lot of positive stuff about Barricade too.

Having kept bees a number of years, I would have sworn Ballistal contains butyric acid, a principal ingredient in vomit and Bee-Go. I've never smelt the anise oil component, just the vomit - and butyric acid does cause throat irritation. That being said, I can't find it as an ingredient listed anywhere, but I'm betting it's in there somewhere's the nose knows!

Barricade works well, in the role for which it is intended but smells worse than Ballistol. The two products aren’t interchangeable btw.

not gun lube,I be leave gun cleaner.not winning wars, point taken.

Used the aerosol version for years whislt cleaning and never had an issue. Nowadays I can only use it sparingly as for some reason, it now really bothers my sinuses too ... instant stuffiness and irritation if I spray too many patches.

But I can use the liquid product all day long with zero issues. I wonder if an ‘EPA mandated’ change to the aerosol propellant may be the cause ... ?

I use it and like it, I just have to use it outside. Not a big deal really, for the benefits you get from it.

I’ve been trying to figure out how to incorporate it into my deodorant and toothpaste. If it allows moisture to evaporate easily it must be good in the pits, and a protective film along the gums seems nice. :confused:

If Barricade smells anything like the precursor Sheath, it will have a distinctive smell. I got turned on to Ballistol by a club member who claimed it will do anything including grow hair. Recently tried cleaning a couple of revolvers with it and it made them slippery as an eel. Maybe good for patches but I'll stick to other things I've used in the past.

I'm enjoying having y'all discuss the pros and cons of Ballistol. I hear its great stuff but why is it so hard to find. At least in my neighborhood anyway. Even our local Walmart doesnt carry it. Is this an American product?

The link I posted shows about a hundred places in texas that sell it. One of them has to be in his back yard.

Having kept bees a number of years, I would have sworn Ballistal contains butyric acid, a principal ingredient in vomit and Bee-Go. I've never smelt the anise oil component, just the vomit - and butyric acid does cause throat irritation. That being said, I can't find it as an ingredient listed anywhere, but I'm betting it's in there somewhere's the nose knows!

Probably the Benzyl Acetate

I use it for patch lube and cleaning. I have had great success with it. I also have used it on my modern arms it works well. I don’t use the aerosol but use a spray bottle. A little goes along way. I kind of like the smell. o_O

amazon, look careful and get ya big bottle for near $12.00
Years and years ago I bought a little tiny bottle of the stuff and it's still almost full.

I've been wondering what to do with it and got to thinking it might make a pretty good cat repellent to keep the neighbors tom cat out of my garden. I'm sure he would think it smells as bad or worse than I do.
Then I decided using something that smells worse than his "cat spray" would be too cruel to him so I put the bottle back on the shelf. :D

I use Ballistol for Moose Milk and straight oil. When I spray it or drip some on a patch, I get a slight burning sensation in my nose and throat. I don't mind the odor, which to me is a lot like licorice, but that irritation in my throat is annoying. I try to use it outside. Anyone else notice this?

Yes, I find the smell obnoxious. There are plenty of equally good oils that don't stink. Take your pick.

Years and years ago I bought a little tiny bottle of the stuff and it's still almost full.

I've been wondering what to do with it and got to thinking it might make a pretty good cat repellent to keep the neighbors tom cat out of my garden. I'm sure he would think it smells as bad or worse than I do.
Then I decided using something that smells worse than his "cat spray" would be too cruel to him so I put the bottle back on the shelf. :D

I made the mistake of asking the wife to get me a bottle, I told her its in a plastic bottle, non-aresol and about $12.00. It arrived in a tiny little box and was about 3 oz. So if ya dont need to repel tom cats and ya wanna get some at Amazon LOOK careful. I ordered my own bottle that was several dollars less for 16 oz. And like Zonie I wont open mine itty bitty bottle, it sits there as a reminder to buy my own stuff:confused:

I've been wondering what to do with it and got to thinking it might make a pretty good cat repellent to keep the neighbors tom cat out of my garden. . :D

A gun is the best repellent. I never had one come back yet.
clear.png
:D

THE FACT THAT THE AEROSOL VERSION OF BALLISTOL IS OUTLAWED IN CALIFORNIA MIGHT LEAD YOU TO THINK IT HAS SOME GOOD QUALITIES, YOU SHOULD BEAR IN MIND THAT it is difficult to use as a patch lubricant as it is difficult to give precisely equal squirts, shot after shot. And if vary the lube you will vary the group.

I suggest a small bottle of the liquid style will last a long long time.

Dutch

I use it for patch lube and cleaning. I have had great success with it. I also have used it on my modern arms it works well. I don’t use the aerosol but use a spray bottle. A little goes along way. I kind of like the smell. o_O

Back