• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball discharger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does any body have a way of making a home made ball discharger. I went hunting last week and forgot to discharge my 50 cal bp layman.

thanks evan

Do you have an air compressor? If so, a shot of air into the nipple should blow it out. If you don't have a compressor you could pull the ball with a screw type ball puller.

HD

I take a cheap nipple. Drill out the flash hole to the same size as the inside of the nipple.

Take an old truck valve stem, (some of them are 6" long), take the valve out of it and cut off about 2" and set it over the nipple and silver solder it. Replace the valve. All you have to do then is to screw this in your nipple hole, and then hit it with any air compressor. Make sure that you have the muzzle pointed down in the dirt or into a blanket or something soft, otherwise you could have an uncontrolled launch.
B

buy a beer keg charger. it uses a co2 cartridge like a pellet uses. fits on the nipple. gander mountain has it for ~20.00 . it's much more convient than a air compressor. i've used mine for several years. if you would like a fresh charge for your rifle, this the deal and you don't even have to clean your gun for the next days hunt. hope this helps you.

Well just for the record I tried a screw type ball puller I got from wal-mart. Result "No-way"

I went to tire kingdom got a stim to use with the compresser and the air went around my .595 ball w/10thous patch.
We have no stores in may home town to buy a ball discharger, but I guess I will have to go on line and get one.

Is there something I should do to prevent damage to the barrel until the discharger come in. I am using a black powder substitute. Thanks Evan

When I completed my T/C Hawken .50, the first test fire was a misfire (I probably could have touched her off if I had the info that this site has provided since). I got the Wally World ball puller and with the advice of a friend was able to make it work. I clamped the barrel, the placed the ramrod with the puller in the bore. I padded the ramrod and clamped it with large vise grip pliers. I tapped the ramrod with a hammer while turning the ramrod 1/4 turns. Eventually it was very tight. I then tapped the vise grips with the hammer to ease the ball out. The short sharp blows accomplished what pulling would not. That said, I'd rather not do it again.
bramble

thanks I will give it a whirl sometime today and keep you posted.

pouring some liquid down the bbl will help...I used hot water to help a buddy last week...bore cleaner would have been OK..Hank

I have seen a ball discharger in cabelas and want to get one so i dont have to shoot at the end of the day. Do you still have to go through the cleaning ritual if you discharge a ball with powder not shot?

Back