• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball and patch size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Start with a .440" ball and .015" lubed patch and see how it does with one powder amount and type. If you don't get the accuracy you want try increasing the patch thickness - if that don't work change ball diameter to .445" and start with the .015" patch thickness - if that don't work change the powder amount and start over - if that don't work try different lube and start over -- you get the picture? Good luck.

If you're asking about patch measurement a patch about 1 & 1/16" to 1 & 1/8" dia. That works for either a .440" or .445" ball. And yes, for thickness do start at .015".

My last rifle had a Douglas Barrel that I used a .445 ball with a .015 patch. But did not know if the Green Mountain barrel performed better with a different combination.

My GM 45 barrel with 1:66 twist likes a .440 ball with a .016 mink oil lubed patch over 55 grains of goex 3f for 1.25" groups at 50 yards.

That sounds like a good starting point thats the same barrel I have. Just waiting for the brown to take and then its ready to shoot.
I know you have play with them to get the right combination.
Just wanted to thank all of you for your in put.

Back