• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Baker tents

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olgreenhead

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody got one how are they for hunting and weekend trips? where the best place to get one ? thanks Art

well if you just need a small one or two man tent, of course a 10x10 sheet of canvass is much easier to pack than a tent, and if you're out with a buddy who is also carrying one, you've got a bunch of tent right there if you overlap the right way.

However with a baker, you can open up the front and build a fire--SMALL fire--under the "fly" that used to be your front door. Also, if you do it right, you don't even need poles if you run a line between two trees to hold up the front, and stake down the sides. I have a friend who does this when he goes to drive-up camps with trees available.

Too bad the Whelen tent isn't PC for most of us. They are designed to be set up quickly and a small with a reflector in the front makes them fairly comfortable. You do need to tote along a ground cloth though. I saw a Whelen with ties and the owner had sewn his own "floor" that was tied into place after the tent went up to allow for uneven ground and it helped keep the thing drier.

-Ray :m2c:

I most whole-heartedly agree on you with the Whelen design lean-to...how can a tarp tent get any better? Never had one, but that don't mean I ain't going to own one! No 20' long poles to haul around...usually means a separate vehicle w/added insurance...prolly a '73 Ford van with a leaking tire that you'll think will stay hard all weekend, but we've all prolly dream't of that, ain't we?....if ya' know what I mean? Anyway, tell me more about your Whelan project and how you come out. Perhaps he could make two @ a lesser price?

I bought a whelen lean-to from Frost river they are out of Duluth Minnesota . www.frostriver.com7 ounce sun forger canvas. you can set it up with or without poles it is 6' by 7' 5 1/2 ' tall enoughroom for 2 easy . It's not PC but i love it I use it in the summer and early fall hunting or treckin it's quite snug with a small fire .the price was 125.00 when I got mine check out frost river good folks good products.

I had a baker tent when I first started 'vousing. It was a good tent no complaints except for the poles I had to carry. By far :imo: I prefer the the diamond design for versatility. If you add a pair of triangle flaps to it as doors you can sleep in the worst of weather with minimal problems. :results:

My old Baker had two panels that closed the entrance. With the panels closed and the awning dropped half way down, it was great in bad weather.

Camp.jpg

Camp.jpg

Back