• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Baker rifle by Persersoli. Any news?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW Pedersoli has said point blank that they are making one for release in 2023.
Whether the stars align and it actually happens is yet to be determined!

They’ve said the same thing in the past about an 1803 and a long land commemorative Bess. Never has happened, instead we got the howda flintlock and double flint shotgun. Personally if Pedersoli actually made a baker rifle I’m not sure I’d want it. They’ve shown time and time again that the authenticity of their projects is lagging. About 20 years ago they made a Spanish 1752 musket Which was their 1766 musket in brass and brass plated the musket looks like complete junk for a Monmouth 1500$

Ahh. I wasn’t aware of Pedersoli’s checkered past in saying things are gonna happen but didn’t. Or producing a bad product. Mine seem to be gold.
Well I ain’t losing sleep. Got plenty of their other military smoothbore replicas to keep me busy. Baker was just the frosting on the cake. And if I knew how (and had the equipment) to drill and tap I’d just go TRS.

Some folks take an Indian made “Baker rifle” & replace the barrel with a rifled barrel by Colerain. I believe it’s close to the originals but I believe the rifling is cut square bottom instead of round (I believe). It takes time & skill to install the barrel & do some cosmetic work, but people are doing it. However, this route to owning a Baker probably wouldn’t be good enough for some & if you had to pay for the labor, wouldn’t be worth it to just about anyone. It could be an interesting project though. Just thought I’d mention it.

Dave Appleby of East Caledon now Toronto ? WAS going to produce Bakers 35 years or so ago I wonder how he got on .He was doing MLs but got a job as armorer that paid steady money for the OPP. I believe . ( Gun makers don't SEE steady money . fiscally speaking your better off a council road sweeper. But it does give them opportunity to go to events shoots whatever without the normal working around an employee status & theirs a bit of glory. mistigue 'artist like parallel' ( The truly great always starved in garretts !')

& A Windsor chair maker in Sheffield WAS going to produce Bakers 40 years ago . But I think that never happened . The Baker rifle is NOT a simple rifle its way over built in my pointless view , I reckoned a rifled Elliot would do all that was required . But I never had any influence with the Ordnance dept of the late 18th c wasn't born till 1944 .
No Parker Hale was the obvious contender but they didn't . I made a Volunteer Baker in the 80s . The Indian Option might be some times fraught with errors but fitting a rifled barrel has worked .. . Once the Sharpes series took off then Big demand for Bakers largely met by India made smooth bores in UK at Least . Big following the series struck a cord no doubt . I camped with the two then Companies of 95th at Waterloo in 1995 also the KGL .Though I did Gordons 92nd with an original restored Bess that might have been at the First Waterloo, But that's not relevant just threw it in .( The whole Post isn't Too relevant but thought it might be of interest to some !) Other than the TRS option you are faced with India upgrade or make one from scratch like I did in 1982 number 50 according to my ledger .The lock was L&R Durs Egg The mounts where from sand castings from my made patterns, The Barrel I think was Montana in one of its styles . (Jerry Cunningham used to call them ''Bloody Brutal Baker barrels !" ) He had a way with words very fine gentleman .Such fun to talk to him at long dusty Friendship shoots . The false breech was angle iron, The B net bar just fettled from stock . The rest was just' take of the bits that don't look like a Baker' is a bit facile but it's pretty much true whatever you make from scratch . What comfort these revelations might bring I know not if indeed they bring any .But there are on topic & might encourage the would be Baker owner . Regards to you and all strength to your bow,
Rudyard

I doubt pedersoli is making a Baker Rifle, if they did it would likely have the wrong style lock as they often use their other lock styles incorrectly. Every ten or so year’s pedersoli makes a commemorative rifle or musket but these don’t often deviate from their base patterns, as this would save them costs on CNC equipment. A baker rifle project would require them to create and completely independent project line.

You’ll see a Long Land Brown Bess by Pedersoli before you see any baker rifle, IMO.
I asked him about a Long Land couple weeks ago and he said not right now.

I have a friend, fellow shooter here in the UK that provided Pedersoli with an awful lot of research paperwork relating to a Matchlock Pistol that they were hoping to build, this was probably ten years ago but so far there'e been no sign. I for one would be interested, if only to give the ARSA version a run for it's money!

Talking about Indian versions of the Baker rifle, it might be time to remind you, if needed, that Rob Enfield of Britishmuzzleloading [Youtube] has such a gun, converted into a very convincing and effective Baker rifle, as can be seen on his numerous movies. I comment him, and them, to you.

Meanwhile, here's a fellow club member shooting his Peter Dyson-made version, said to have been build at truly eye-watering expense [around £5000 fifteen years ago] from what may have been TRS components - the jury is out on that.

Given that there is a demand for Baker rifle reproductions due to the shows and their use at the Alamo and Pedersoli‘s announcement of production( with the notice of delay until 2023 ), I believe that Pedersoli will introduce such a repro. It is my opinion, that they will release a smoothbore for the European market and a rifled one for North America.

Talking about Indian versions of the Baker rifle, it might be time to remind you, if needed, that Rob Enfield of Britishmuzzleloading [Youtube] has such a gun, converted into a very convincing and effective Baker rifle, as can be seen on his numerous movies. I comment him, and them, to you.

Meanwhile, here's a fellow club member shooting his Peter Dyson-made version, said to have been build at truly eye-watering expense [around £5000 fifteen years ago] from what may have been TRS components - the jury is out on that.

I don’t usually watch my touch hole since i am looking at the target and sights but there seemed to be a lot of fire exiting his gun. Maybe it is normal?

He also has a TRS Baker that he built.

Latest posts

Back