• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Baker and Ferguson rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I ever get time off this ranch,Heading that way,
I'll holler at you.
I do believe it is shootable still.
Tommy T

Let me know and I will get Paul out of his rocking chair to go shoot.( He is a member of the same club) :haha: :blah: :)

I have a Baker rifle made by Doc White, it is one of my most treasured possesions.I bought it last year and it cost me $2000.I have 3 guns made by him a Snaphaunce fowler and an 1814 common rifle I just purchsed from him.Agreat guy to deal with.

I have a great Ferguson Rifle made by Narragansete Armes (#44) in near mint condition. Just yesterday, I was considering selling it or trading. I see this post is a few months old but this is my first day on the Forum!

I have a hankering for a Hall rifle in flint.

Cheers,

Ash

Here in UK there have been sales of each of these original arms within the last year. The Baker rifle is not uncommon, there were, after all, a pretty large number of them made over the years. Prices run around £5-8K for one in good to excellent condition. An officer's Ferguson rifle was sold last year by Bonham's for just over £13k.

I'm afraid that if the friend wants to soar with the eagles, so to speak, as far as rare and exotic flintlock replicas are concerned, he is going to have to stump up the $$$.

Making a replica of anything that is VERY expensive, if it be done correctly, is also VERY expensive.

tac

Sorry for the late response.

Thanks for getting back to me.
This Baker Rifle is definitely not a reproduction but is a 200 years old original. I best not fire it, even though the lock is still very functional.

I asked Mark Henry about smooth bores and he said many original Baker Rifle barrels had the rifling bored out. It was a mystery why it was done.

My theory is, since, the expanding hollow based mini ball was not in use at that early 1812 time, were they foaling and too slow reloading with the rifling? Therefore, were some bored out into smooth bore muskets for a faster reload in combat conditions?

The problem with long life of a Baker rifle barrel, It had a solid steel heavy ramrod. The Jaeger military rifles of the Rev War also had metal ramrods but a brass end was placed on the ramming end to protect the barrel. With the Baker rifle the Brits left out the brass hence the steel to steel friction of constant use wore out the barrels. This can be seen in Dewitt Bailey's book on British Military Rifles, Pictures are a wonderfull thing!

You will find a lot of military rifles have had the rifling bored smooth mainly after the gun has been put into surplus and given to native troops.

Thanks for the answer on the steel ramrod. Makes sense. I notice that even though the barrel rifling is gone there is a spiral to the inside.
I saw a picture of a reproduction with a brass ramrod could be the reason for the change.

You have another good point.
Maybe they did bore out the barrels when issued to native troops just in case the were ever pointed at them.

Hey Tac,

Where did they sell the original Bakers?
Was it private advertisement or Auction?
If at Auction was it an on-line auction?
I maybe selling my original Baker in the near future and would like to know where the best site to do so might be.

The reason for this delayed reply is an error in the RIA Catalog on the Baker Rifle listed as item
# 1065. September 2010 Premier Firearms Auction.

An Interesting summary of the history Baker Rifle:
http://historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_baker_rifle.html

This rifle is the correct original length and not cut down to carbine,but, ordered in the 33 inch length for faster reloading and mounted use. The 1806 model has the pistol grip trigger guard as does this Baker. Being a rare firearm the assumption was it was cut down due to shorter length as compared to standard British arms, but it is standard regulation size. The absence of a patchbox and the stock scribed for a cutout is consistent with an officers model as is the absence of the bayonet lug.
It is listed as an 1841 model which it cannot be since production started in 1799 and ceased in 1838. This is most likely one of the earlier produced Baker Rifles of the order model 1803 and 1806.
This Baker was said by Noted Historian, Robert Edwards, Ohio, to have been taken from a British Officer in the Great lakes Region during the War of 1812.
The lock is still crisp and strong with part of the worn crown still showing.
This maybe a chance to own an origional Baker at a cheaper price than normal.A NO RESERVE sale and the existing catalog description make this possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the new information. I sent all the information gathered from this post to the friend who was interested. When he found out what he was likely going to have to pay even for a reproduction, I think he decided to collect vintage autos, instead! :rotf: :blah: :nono: :surrender: :hatsoff:

Back