• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Baker and Ferguson rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulvallandigham

Passed On
Reaction score
Gentlemen: I have a friend who has expressed interest in owning owning the Baker Rifle, and the Ferguson Rifle. Obviously, the original are not available, but I recall someone was making replicas of these guns a few years back. I just can't remember WHO! :idunno:

Can someone remind me where or who is making( made) the Baker Replica, and the Ferguson Replica rifles?? Thank you all. :surrender: :thumbsup:

Paul, the rifle shoppe list both as complete parts kits. They are quite expensive as you can imagine.

Jac S. Muell

:thumbsup:

Paul, Narragansett Arms out of indiana was making the Ferguson rifle but I believe they are out of business. As for the Baker rifle I dont think anyone but the Idian companys are making a copy of that. Thats if you are talking complete guns.

John

Kit Ravenshear showed me a beautiful Baker he built but sadly he's now in that Big Rendezvous in the Sky.

714%20Full%20Stock%20Bay.gif

I believe the Rifle Shoppe can turn one out for a price.
http://www.therifleshoppe.com/sys-tmpl/britishbakerrifle1/

Last edited by a moderator:
paulvallandigham said:
Gentlemen: I have a friend who has expressed interest in owning owning the Baker Rifle, and the Ferguson Rifle. Obviously, the original are not available, but I recall someone was making replicas of these guns a few years back. I just can't remember WHO! :idunno:

Can someone remind me where or who is making( made) the Baker Replica, and the Ferguson Replica rifles?? Thank you all. :surrender: :thumbsup:

Over here in UK, Peter Dyson makes a beautiful replication of the Baker rifle - here is his site -

http://www.peterdyson.co.uk/acatalog/REPRODUCTION__GUNS.html

The stated price is currently £3500.00, but you'll have to talk to him - his site is a couple of years out of date.

I was at a gun-show at Bisley in October where I had a look at one of these rifles - you would not be disappointed. They DO take a while to produce as they are made entirely in Mr Dyson's workshops, NOT India. My pal steve at our gun club has one, and it is gorgeous.

As for the real thing not being available, you are being misinformed. I have seen six Baker rifles for sale in the last year alone - the cheapest was about £3500 plus sales commission and VAT, but as an American buyer you would not have to pay that [currently 17.5%].

tac

I cannot attest to quality, but I ran across this site awhile ago. The rifle as it is is a non firing reproduction, but (as they say in their write up) a barrel can be bought to drop in.

I don't know though. Sounds almost too good to be true. Or at least too good to be all that good.

That is an Indian made repo with a smoothbore barrel. If looks are all you want go for it. If you expect the documented accuracy of the historical Baker rifles, it won't be there. One of these companies used to offer a price for a gunsmith to install a rifled barrel. This ran the price up a great deal.

Thanks to both you and TAC for the additional information. I looked at that site, and like you, was not impressed. The English made Baker looks terrific, but I don't know if my friend is wanting one that badly! As to the Ferguson, I had forgotten that Leonard Day had made some of these. This would be a good find, if my friend can afford it.

Thanks to all again.

Paul

There is an unfinished (not started) one on the custom traditional section of the White muzzleloading site. It has really nice wood and a .62 caliber Colraine barrel.

John, You mentioned the Indian Company making Baker Rifles. Do you know when they started making reproductions of the Baker?

I received a Baker Rifle over 30 years ago from a friend in Ohio. He told me it was taken from a British Officer in the Great Lakes region during the War of 1812. It was very old looking then.

A friend and Military Museum Curator, back in 1989 came to our ranch and saw it on the wall.
He stated; "Wow! A Baker Rifle, Where did you ever find one of them?" I interpreted that as to mean they were scarce.

After reading this forum about the ram rod holder having a large throat in the Indian made Rifles, I thought maybe this might be Indian or were they following an original construction as a template for their reproductions?
Thank for any information you can give.
Tommy

I believe that TRS actually built the Fergusons Narragansett sold, if not all, some. Ben

* paulvallandigham Said:

"Gentlemen: I have a friend who has expressed interest in owning owning the Baker Rifle, and the Ferguson Rifle. Obviously, the original are not available,"

Hey Paul, I had posted earlier asking about the Baker Rifle I have. I received my answer since posting my information and question.
It is an original Baker rifle made long before any reproductions and probably not as fancy.
I believe the wider throat ramrod holder was for a faster return of the ramrod. Maybe not as pretty as a narrow trim holder but much more efficient. Like the wide throat unattractive scabbard for the Patton Saber for faster return on the run.
Tommy T

I am happy for you. Other than knowing generally what makes the two guns distinctive, I don't know any of the details. I was hoping someone else could help you.

The fact that someone has given you an original in good condition is simply fantastic. No, I am not jealous. I doubt anyone here is. We are all just happy to know that someone not running a museum actually possessed an original of these guns, who appreciates what he has, and is taking care of it. Such is Not always the case, sadly :( :hmm: :thumbsup: :hatsoff: .

Sorry for the late reply I have no idea when the indian made bakers started to be imported. But I do know they were only in smooth bore. One of the comaneys would tell you who could put a rifled barrel on it though.

my bad didnt finnish reading the post I am very happy for you in the ownership of your baker. If every in central IL yet me know I would love to see it and if possible shoot it.

John

thewho66 said:
Paul, Narragansett Arms out of indiana was making the Ferguson rifle but I believe they are out of business. As for the Baker rifle I dont think anyone but the Idian companys are making a copy of that. Thats if you are talking complete guns.

John

"Indian Company's" and "copy" are a contradiction in terms. I don't think anything coming from India is a copy. Nor do they rifle barrels so far as I know.

Dan

Latest posts

Back