• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bag molds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Do bag molds work well enough to mot adversely affect accuracy?
66 yrs old and just now getting on mind set of starting to mold my own rb,s Late bloomer.lol

Cast with my Rapine bag mould, haven't bought store bought in decades...

Attachments

• IMG_0508.JPG
    IMG_0508.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Cutting the sprue by hand is the only drawback. I wouldn’t choose a bag mold for shooting a bench or chunk gun. But for hunting and offhand shooting, yes. In my .58, my Callahan .570 mold does very well.

Only draw back is time. From a Lee or Lyman I have no trouble running a hundred ball in an hour. And reject about twenty five.
My Callahans have a lower rejection rate but you can only run about five ball till it’s too hot to hold. Takes several hours to run a hundred ball.
That’s not a problem for me as running ball, or cleaning or any little chore that goes along is all part of the fun. When I cast I set aside a whole afternoon, just like I would going to the range
But if your in a hurry a bag mold won’t get you a pile of ball real quick

Only draw back is time. From a Lee or Lyman I have no trouble running a hundred ball in an hour. And reject about twenty five.
My Callahans have a lower rejection rate but you can only run about five ball till it’s too hot to hold. Takes several hours to run a hundred ball.
That’s not a problem for me as running ball, or cleaning or any little chore that goes along is all part of the fun. When I cast I set aside a whole afternoon, just like I would going to the range
I straighten the handles on Callaghan’s bag molds and stick corncob handles on them.

I started off casting with one of those old "hair curler" molds. The ball was far from spherical but I still killed bobcats and squirrels with it in my underhammer. I also have a Tanner mold that drops beautiful round ball.

I've cast a ton with various sized Larry Callahan's molds. I cut off the fingers of some old heavy duty cowhide gloves and insert the mold handles. That way I can cast all day long if I want with no issues with the mold overheating. I also wear gloves because I don't like molten lead on my skin. Callahan's molds are great. With bag molds (assuming you're using an electric pot and not straight from a bed of coals), the trick to keeping consistency - in my opinion - is to rest the mold cavity against the pot for a bit before you start casting and if you step away even for a moment. That keeps the mold at a consistent temperature and keeps you casting without discarding balls. It takes just a bit of trial and error to get into an easy rhythm and you can cast pretty fast with a bag mold.

While not exactly 'bag molds' in the form most know, except one, they work good for my bore guns, 12-bore and up. But when dealing with these, you're not exactly casting more than a handful, so it's not an issue. For smaller guns, I prefer the Lee's because they heat up quick. If all I had was a bag mold without sprew plate for the smaller ones, I would never complain though, since I enjoy doing it. A lot of the smaller ones I have to use are special make, .500's etc., so they are slow, but that's just part of it. The shiny new ones popping out make it worthwhile. What else would I be doing with the time?

Back