• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Back up pistol in same caliber?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORBushman

"In the Woods"
Reaction score
Do you all think that would work out ok, if one had to get off a finishing shot and didn't have enough time to re-load his/her rifle? I'm contemplating a Traditions Kentucky percussion in .50 to go along with my Lyman Trade Rifle for hunting and wasn't sure if anyone did this or not, or, if it was a good idea. As always appreciate thoughts and recommendations. :)

I like the idea, but be sure to check with your state's regs. In your neighboring state to the north, a muzzleloading pistol must have an eight inch barrel and be capable of shooting 45 grains of black powder "per manufacturer specifications." A hunter can't legally take a "coup de grace" shot with any firearm that doesn't meet the specs of the hunt.

I carried a CVA Hawken Pistol with my TC Hawken for all of 2 days hunt. Never again. It is just too much weight and the both of them together are just too much awkward.
1 gun is all you need. Hit the critter right and there is no need of a follow up. I load my rifle with a PRB and carry a back up load of a conical and powder in a tube.

Now that pistol is plenty deadly on Bambi inside of 50 yards. Provided you do your part. Now some states have powder minimum loads for pistols when hunting deer. Washington state says I have to load my pistol with a minimum of 40 grains of powder. Which makes my pistol no longer a viable hunting gun. It takes 35 grains of 3f and my shot is on point all the time. I go up to 40 of 3f and the group opens up too much. With 40 grains of 2f it is no better. Then I wonder what game warden is going to pull my ball to measure my powder....?

anyways I digress

Excellent thoughts and appreciate the replies. Will definitely check the regs but, I don't recall seeing anything for muzzleloading pistols. Perhaps a call to the ODFW is in order.

I think in PA we can use a flintlock pistol, but it has to be 50cal. And since my long gun is 45, that rules that out. (same caliber pistol)
I made up some quick reloads if I need a finishing shot (and most likely would be closer to the deer).

Just powder, lubed felt wad, a ball and some lubed tow on top to hold the ball in place.
quick reload kit.jpg

My flinter loads rough after just one shot and I know I can load this easily.

Do you all think that would work out ok, if one had to get off a finishing shot and didn't have enough time to re-load his/her rifle? I'm contemplating a Traditions Kentucky percussion in .50 to go along with my Lyman Trade Rifle for hunting and wasn't sure if anyone did this or not, or, if it was a good idea. As always appreciate thoughts and recommendations. :)
@SantiamSam i hunt with an old TC Hawken .50 backed up by a Traditions Trapper .50. The powder (3F black), ball, and percussion cap are all interchangeable and only the patches are specific to each gun. I carry the pistol (uncapped) in a holster I made for it and only cap it when I need to shoot.

Having the pistol bailed me out a couple of weeks ago as I made a bad shot on a deer and while unable to run it still needed to be dispatched. I was able to get within a few yards of the deer and use the pistol to finish the deer. I know there are many who say “make the first shot right and you don’t need a second… or just carry speed loaders and reload”. I am in that camp too but also realize “things happen”.

Fortunately for me my pistol is legal for whitetail in my state so no issues there. I would say if your state allows the gun legally then carry it as a backup. Everyone’s situation is unique to them, you have to find and do what works for you.

Having the pistol bailed me out a couple of weeks ago as I made a bad shot on a deer and while unable to run it still needed to be dispatched. I was able to get within a few yards of the deer and use the pistol to finish the deer. I know there are many who say “make the first shot right and you don’t need a second… or just carry speed loaders and reload”. I am in that camp too but also realize “things happen”.
This is exactly the scenario I had in mind when I posted my question! Thank you for sharing! I don't care what anyone says, you can do everything right to make the first shot count but, stuff happens. I watched a cousin of mine many years ago, have a perfect broadside shot on a Blacktail, pulled the trigger and that deer just happened to flinch at that exact moment, and his shot ended up needing a quick second.

I went ahead and ordered a Traditions Kentucky percussion last night anyway. Worst case scenario, I have a new toy to burn up my powder with at the range. 😁

Well, I considered this for a while, then I ordered a cross-draw holster from October Country. I have a couple of T/C Patriots in .36 and .45. I also have a T/C Hawken in .45 and a T/C Seneca in .36. Sounds like a good fit right? When the holster arrived, I holstered one of the Patriots, then put my possibles bag and a single powder horn on my left shoulder to hang on my right side. Just walking around the house, I found it cumbersome. If you want to sling the long gun, there is no place for it to go. The other issue I had was that in drawing the pistol, the ramrod would sometimes catch on the holster and get pulled out of the gun. Also, we only have two hands, so if you are going to shoot the pistol, you kinda need a place to put the rifle.

All in all, I think it is an interesting idea, but needs further refinement. I think perhaps a specially made possibles bag that incorporates a holster for the pistol might be in order. Also, Patriots are not hunting pistols, so are perhaps ill suited to this application.

I will likely use my holster with the Patriots and possibles bag, but probably will not take it as a backup gun for the rifle. Less cumbersome and likely almost as quick would be a couple of QuickShots for the .45. Squirrels and rabbits I might hunt with the .36 will just have to wait until I can reload as there are no QuickShots being made in .36 to my knowledge.

you do you, but I don't have the stones to walk up on a 5 point buck and dispatching a coup de grace with a knife!
plenty of deer have gotten up long enough to serious stomp a hunter to death or a trip to the hospital

just gonna sit back and watch as I reload and if it looks like it is capable of recovering, taking a second shot (which I have never had to do, knock on wood, they all die either on the spot or run for about 25 yards max)

I have a Lyman Plains Pistol .54 to match my GPR. I carry it in a Leatherman cross draw holster, and it carries well. I never had the opportunity to use it though. I would not recommend using a knife to finish off a deer. Just reload. I killed one deer with a knife, in a non-hunting situation. No. you do not grab its antlers, and cut its throat. That is just asking to get injured

I have a Perdersoli Kentucky Pistol kit that i have not quite finished. It is a 50 caliber. The plan was it would match my 50 caliber traditions Kentucky rifle. But then I passed the traditions Kentucky rifle on my 13 year old at Christmas. I still plan to finish it and carry it with me hunting. In Kentucky I can legally hunt with it.

I have a Perdersoli Kentucky Pistol kit that i have not quite finished. It is a 50 caliber. The plan was it would match my 50 caliber traditions Kentucky rifle. But then I passed the traditions Kentucky rifle on my 13 year old at Christmas. I still plan to finish it and carry it with me hunting. In Kentucky I can legally hunt with it.
Looking forward to seeing the end result! Tag me in your post if you think of it so I can admire! 😁 ☕

I would like to get a 45cal flint pistol. Just to have it and shoot it. It would be nice to have a pistol that uses the same balls, jags and whatnot as what I already have. Lately it seems every time I buy a new black powder gun I'm having to get all the little stuff.

I wish I had kept the one I built as a kid. But I don't remember the caliber :(

All in all, I think it is an interesting idea, but needs further refinement. I think perhaps a specially made possibles bag that incorporates a holster for the pistol might be in order.
@Dale Allen Raby I have tried to come up with the same solution, nothing yet. I look at my possibles bag and try to figure out how to carry my Trapper without ruining the function and looks of my bag.

I have a Lyman Plains Pistol .54 to match my GPR. I carry it in a Leatherman cross draw holster, and it carries well. I never had the opportunity to use it though. I would not recommend using a knife to finish off a deer. Just reload. I killed one deer with a knife, in a non-hunting situation. No. you do not grab its antlers, and cut its throat. That is just asking to get injured
What do you do then? Lol

@Dale Allen Raby I have tried to come up with the same solution, nothing yet. I look at my possibles bag and try to figure out how to carry my Trapper without ruining the function and looks of my bag.
Well, you'd probably need a new bag I suppose, one that has a special compartment for the gun. I'm also considering a percussion revolver like perhaps the Uberti 1862 Police which is a small-frame revolver with the chamber part of the cylinder enlarged to .36 caliber and the water table of the frame cut away to allow for the larger cylinder.... kind of like they made the 1851 Navy Colt.

That gun could fit into my possibles bag with all the other stuff. Only issue might be the possible need for a valid concealed carry permit. I've got one, but it wouldn't be valid in most places East of the Mississippi.

Latest posts

Back