• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Back into antiques…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoy shooting the few antiques I have. My photo to the left is one that required a new tumbler shaft to be brazed in. The rest was in pretty good condition. Shoots well, but not as good as the German pistol that was auctioned without a hammer. Tracked it down in England. It has a hex shaft on the tumbler. Luckily the hammer came with a hex opening that fit perfectly! Yay!
I’d probably be more inclined to shoot it if it wasn’t such a desirable piece in such good condition.

A few more inches of barrel wouldn’t hurt, either…

The appearance looks to be in very nice condition. The lack of pitting at the snail/nipple indicates low use and/or well taken care of. (Your nipple threads might be a little long, based on the gap in the photo?). If the bore is constant with a tight patch - I’d make sure the flame path is clear and go. Obviously, snap a few caps, then start with a low powder charge and enjoy.
That's exactly what I did with my great, great grandfather's shotgun mentioned earlier in this thread. After replacing the nipples that were mushrooms from my father and uncle dry firing it when they were kids. Although I did use Duval's gun restoration kit and etched the barrels to bring out the twist this gun turned out mighty nice and shoots just fine.

I have been shooting my original S. Hawken regularly and I am amazed at the accuracy.
.54 cal with 60 grains at 65 yards. Head shot on this hog and he never moved. Not slant breech so I figure it's around 1855. When I hold this gun I can't stop grinnin!
At the age of 83 I have had many various firearms and this one is at the top of the list. I wish it could talk!

Attachments

• 7291983761239264672(2).jpg
    7291983761239264672(2).jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 0
Shoot an original? Maybe. If the barrel is ok, and you can get replacement lock parts made. I’d shoot an original civil war Springfield all day long! A rare desirable piece? Nope. Anything breaking will lose you $$.

Shoot an original? Maybe. If the barrel is ok, and you can get replacement lock parts made. I’d shoot an original civil war Springfield all day long! A rare desirable piece? Nope. Anything breaking will lose you $$.
My exact thought as well.

Except for @2001guns ‘s Hawken most of the replies about shooting are about no-name pieces, and I can see shooting them no problem.

This one is just too nice, and it’s hardly a no-name.

Yes, exactly the SxS I have are what was a common hardware store variety many makers some better quality the others. I do have an Original 1861 Springfield that I shot NSSA competition with for years and a few deer. It has a replacement barrel made by Yeck.

Your pistol appears to be in excellent condition !

I've enjoyed shooting original rifles, pistols & smoothbores for 60 years but only after making sure they are safe to shoot.
That being said for safety reasons 'corrosion' I never shoot any percussion firearm they are determined to be in safe shootable condition & the nipples are always replaced.
Suppliers like Tresco provide a wide variety of quality nipples that can can be correctly fitted to most any application.

*Over the years many several nice original percussion firearms have come into my shop where the gun's hammer had been blown off because the nipple's vent passage had eroded open enough to shear the hammer off the tumbler's axle when fired , on one occasion the launched hammer had lacerated the shooter's forehead.
I personally don't shoot any rare vintage firearms that are in mint or near mint condition to preserve their value & condition, they are sold to collectors who just place them on display.

You will enjoy the forum & thanks for sharing photo of your rare pistol.

Latest posts

Back