• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

B weight 50 cal. loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI Mike,
Ya I know, my mother and my wife used to say the same thing. You are probably right,Hey maybe I should send the barrel to you and have you proof it for me if the guys at Rice say it is unsafe LOL.I will let you know what they tell me and if it is bad news well who knows? :idunno: But you are also talking to a guy that used to live in Las Vegas and would blow things up with pipe bombs out in the dessert(That was before terrorists) :haha:

I just have to know. Why does Rice make an unsafe barrel? Or was the guy who fit the barrel machine his dovetails too deep. In other words, the barrel is made fine, the person making the gun, messed up the barrel.

What about cutting the barrel back. recrowning it and re dovetailing it for a sight :hmm:

Dave K said:
I just have to know. Why does Rice make an unsafe barrel? ...
Rice doesn't make an unsafe barrel.

As was explained, the 'B' weight barrel has a breech that is 1.000 across the flats.
The high pressure when a gun is fired is in this breech area. By the time the ball has passed down the bore and it approaches the muzzle the high pressures have greatly decreased.

This is why Mike keeps saying that there isn't much to worry about with the excessively deep front sight dovetail.

freeloader:
As I understand it you were cutting the front sight dovetail and at some point it is maybe 3/32 deep? If my TOTW Colerain "Golden Age" barrels dimensions are similar and the sight is out near the muzzle the wall thickness could be around
(.790-.500)/2 = .145 wall minus the .093 dovetail depth = .052 or so wall remaining.
IMO, out there 40+ inches from the breech the pressures will be low enough that there should be no concern about fairly hot powder loads.

That said, if Rice comes back and says your barrels wall is too thin, cut the barrel off right behind the back of the dovetail.
File the muzzle flat and square with the bore, recrown it and your back in business.
There is no need to spend another $220+ for another barrel.

As was mentioned, I decided to cut off a .54 cal., 38 inch long swamped barrel because of my goof up but my goof up was drilling an underlug hole completely thru the barrel wall 5 inches from the muzzle.

That hole wouldn't cause a safety problem but it would snag and tear patches so I didn't want it to be there. This made for a 33 inch barrel length which is quite short for a full stock gun but I don't think it came out too bad.
cangun10.jpg

Sorry, I missed the part about the too thin of barrel because of the tennon. I know that Rice doesn't make a barrel that isn't safe, I was asking as to what was wrong with this barrel. Sorry. :surrender:

Hey, no problem.
I just didn't want someone speed reading thru the posts and getting the idea that Rice barrels are unsafe. :)

Nice rifle Zonie, I do not think that Rice makes unsafe barrels,especially after all the info I got from you guys. And a I tried to explain to Dave the cut was cut too deep and that was MY FAULT. I mean no disrespect to any of you guys, that is why I ask so many questions.Again NO DISRESPECT, Just trying to learn. I have made a lot of mistakes on this kit and I would not hesitate buying another from the same Co. especially now that I know how to deal with the barrel,the wooden patch box kit, and the dbl.set triggers that I also goofed on.Regards, Freeloader. :v

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back