• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Authenticity of a fire pit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherpadoug

40 Cal.
Reaction score
How authentic, especially for the Revolutionary war period, is a fire pit? We dig them now for fire safety. But for tending coals under a three legged pot or dutch oven it is a pain to work below ground. There are lots of drawings of elaborate earthworks for cooking that I doubt were often used. Especially in rainy weather a pit just going to collect water and be miserable. I imagine if I had no basis to start with I might use a pad of flat rocks. :hmm:

Sometimes we camp in historic sites where they don't allow digging so you won't disturb any artifacts there, thus no fire pit is possible. So to be safe, we got about four $1 sacks of topsoil over at the nearby Walmart, spread one out on the grass, used the contents of the other 3 to make dirt berms - voila! Instant fire pit with no shovel and no sore back! :) When ready to break camp, let the fire burn down completely, pour water on it, pick the big unburnt chunks of wood, and rake out the dirt, and you can't tell it was there - biodegradeable and the grass comes back.

In an area with lotsa rocks, I'd use those for a fire ring, that's certainly period - use the ones under your sleeping area first. :) And you can set your skillet on them, no grate needed. Make a key-hole shaped rock ring, put coals in the little square part, set your dutch oven in there.
Patsy

Don't squat wtith yer spurs on.
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:
Good one :)

Woody

One of Rogers Rangers security tips was to build your fire in a pit deep enough for the flames to not be seen. You would get the warmth and be able to cook but most of the light would go straight up and not be visible over a distance.

That justifies the digging as far as documentation goes.

Trekking fires are short and sweet, cook on them and put them out. When you are in a camp for several days you need the pit and some conviniences.

We use a flip over grill on our pit, which puts us to cooking at ground level. We do a lot of work over coals we shovel out of the pit.

:front:

Don't squat with yer spurs on.
Woody

Wish I could take credit for coming up with that one, :: but it's from a book called "Don't Squat With Yer Spurs on: A Cowboys Guide to Life" by Texas Bix Bender. Amazon has it.

Here's a few more of my favorites from there:
~Don't never interfere with something that ain't botherin' you none.
~The easiest way to eat crow is while it's still warm. The colder it gets, the harder it is to swaller.
~Never smack a man who's chewin' tobacco.
~If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around.
~Tellin' a man to go to h*ll and makin' him do it are two entirely different propositions.

OOPS! :eek:ff: ::
Patsy

Dang it, got to get to Texas on my whirlwind trip next year to meet you. Love the sayings.
I also remember the postings you put on the PIS site.
:thumbsup:

Dang it, got to get to Texas on my whirlwind trip next year to meet you. Love the sayings.
I also remember the postings you put on the PIS site.
:thumbsup:

Linda, I've been a fan of yours for a long time too - when you coming to Texas?? I live just east of Austin. Let me know and we'll get together someplace, sounds like a lot of fun to me. Sure would be fun if we could work in a Rendezvous event at the same time or something...

Looking forward to that tipi book of yours coming out soon too!
:thanks:
Patsy

I am going to head your way next year or so on my way to see Reese tipis and a few others. Taking lots of pictures on the way. :)Will also be looking for a few events when I get under way. Just not quite sure when yet. :: ::

I am going to head your way next year or so on my way to see Reese tipis and a few others. Taking lots of pictures on the way. :)Will also be looking for a few events when I get under way. Just not quite sure when yet. :: ::

Give me a shout and let me know when you're coming, Linda - sounds like fun!
Patsy

Don't squat with yer spurs on.
Woody

Wish I could take credit for coming up with that one, :: but it's from a book called "Don't Squat With Yer Spurs on: A Cowboys Guide to Life" by Texas Bix Bender. Amazon has it.
OOPS! :eek:ff: ::
Patsy

Some years back, I knew a reenactor who made that mistake. He compounded it with two prior mistakes. First, he was dressed comanchero style -- breechclout, leggings, boot, and spurs. Second, he had been warming his backside over the fire previously, and had forgotten that he had the spurs on. He was reminded when he turned around and squatted down to warm his hands. :eek:

Now, whenever he goes to a new doctor, he has to explain the matching v-shaped brands on each cheek. :hmm:

Latest posts

Back