• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Austin Halleck Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From Cody Wyoming, now lives in Oakwood Illinois
I have an Austin Halleck Mountain Rifle in 50 cal.It seems to shoot pretty tight groups at the range. The only problem I see with it is when the trigger is set, the front trigger turns into a touch and BANG! Its way to light. You can breath on it and it will go off! I tried to adjust the screw between the triggers with no luck. I do not know what to do other then that. Can anyone help? Also has anyone else heard of the Austin Halleck Mountain Rifle? I won the bid on GunBroker about 5 years ago. It has a nice curly maple stock, 32 inch barrel that is 1/66 twist with barrel brown as well as all the furniture and lock also brown. Was made in Utah, but I think they went out of business a while back ago. Anyway, can anyone help with the trigger problem? Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Have you removed the lock and thoroughly cleaned it to make sure that there is no crud in the full cock notch? Look at the trigger mortise and the lock mortise to be sure that nothing is rubbing or not fitting correctly. Do not over tighten the lock bolt or you can cause all sorts of malfunctions of your lock. Have you backed the screw all the way out? Try removing it completely, it could be too long. If you have checked all of these things and have the trigger adjustment screw all they way out and are still having trouble with the trigger being too light, it will likely need a competent black powder gunsmith to work on the lock. It could be that the full cock notch is rounded off by someone who didn't know what they were doing trying to stone the full cock notch and managed to round it off. Or, the nose of the sear could be rounded or broken so that it doesn't fit the full cock notch properly. Correcting these things requires a competent black powder gunsmith. If you need to have it worked on, you might try Flintlocks Inc. in Niniva, IN.

cowboys1062 said:
I have an Austin Halleck Mountain Rifle in 50 cal.
It seems to shoot pretty tight groups at the range.

Also has anyone else heard of the Austin Halleck Mountain Rifle ?

I had two A&H Mountain rifles, both rocklocks, one with a 1:66 twist bbl, the other with a 1:28 bbl.

Both were dead-nuts accurate with their respective boolits (PRB for the 1:66 & conicals with the 1:28).

A few years after A&H closed their doors, Traditions bought all their remaining inventory of guns, stocks, locks & barrels, assembled as many as they had parts for, and stamped them with the Traditions moniker B 4 selling the Mountain Rifles for about 50% of the A&H price.

Both of mine were the earlier Utah rifles, with which I've had no issues, regarding workmanship, accuracy & dependability - so, I never had cause to inspect their trigger mechanisms.

The only reason I sold them was that I found them to be just too durn heavy for my age & hunting use.(YMMV)

I also have an Austin Halleck mountain rifle. Mine is a .50 calibre flintlock. It was my first flintlock and it got me hooked. Very nice rifle that seems a notch above most production rifles.

Back