• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Assessing 1858 problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am trying to put my 1858 Remington CVA back together correctly. The cylinder hand has the spring, unbroken, attached. When I screw it back on the hammer and slide all into place with hammer screw replaced, the cylinder hand spring doesn't press against anything in the slot to press the hand toward the cylinder slots. It was spring loaded before disassembly. I've looked at schematics and all parts are accounted for and undamaged. I would appreciate any ideas. thanks Ken

Your saying that after reattaching the hand to the hammer, locating it into the slot and sliding the hammer back upward into place and installing the hammer screw, the little end of the hand does not stick out of the slot in the recoil shield?

With the hammer in the "fired" position the little hand doesn't stick out of the recoil shield much at all but when the hammer is brought back to half-cock or full cock the hand should stick proudly out of the recoil shield.
If it doesn't it is possible that the little spring became dislodged and turned or fell out?

Sure sounds like the hand spring has either lost it's shape or a peice broken off.
I shot my Walker a few times while waiting for the new hand spring; works as long as you point the muzzle down while cocking.

Latest posts

Back