• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Asm frame - Colt barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNS

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I saw an 1861 navy with a colt 3rd. gen. barrel. Guy that had it said asm bought the left over parts after colt stopped making them. Asm then assembled them on their frames and sold them as complete guns.Is this gun show bull?

Not sure exactly how it came about; but there is probably an element of gun show bull. I have and have had quite a few Armi San Marco's ( ASM ) with the Colt barrel address and many had "Colt's Patent No." on the cylinder. Some cylinders just had "Patent No." on them.

The ASM's did not have Colt marked frames and had the usual Armi San Marco Italian markings and serial number ranges.

EMF company sold these for a few years in the 1980's. I bought quite a few from them at The Big Reno Show where they used to set up. EMF charged $20 more for various Colt marked models. If I recall correctly this was before the 3rd Gen. Signature Series were made by the Imperato family operating under license from Colt as Colt Blackpowder Arms Company, New York, NY.

Also if remembering correctly EMF sold Colt marked 1851 and 1861 Navies, 1860 Armies and Walkers. There may also have been other Colt marked models.

I suspect Colt was very unhappy and got Armi San Marco and EMF to stop making and selling these.

Some of the most poorly fit revolvers I have ever worked on were made by Armi San Marco and they were twice as expensive as are Pietta's.

I have one in 1860 Colt and it would pass for a 2nd Gen. Colt, to someone not paying close attention.

The one that I have has the Colt markings on the barrel and maybe the cylinder.

I've heard that they are hit and miss, in quality. Mine seems to be a very well made gun and it shoots good.

I've had Pietta and 2nd Gens, and I would place it between the two and maybe as good as a Uberti.

I'm told the current Pietta's are as well made as the Uberti's.
I did notice the Police 62 model I rebuilt, made with Uberti marked parts and sold by Navy Arms was not fit up all that well either.
I'm pretty sure this is an early gun. I bought it at a discount because the hand and cylinder ratchet star would not index one chamber.
She works perfectly now. I did ream out the chamber throats to use a .380 ball so as to better fit the groove diameter.
When it warms up I will test the bigger ball for accuracy improvement or not.

Back