• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ASM 1851 colt navy cap?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spitdog

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 1851 colt navy made in 1985 by asm . 44 cal.
I have shot black powder guns (TC Hawken ) along time but never a pistol.

I have ordered 454 round balls, wads and nipple wrench.

Does anyone know what size caps these will use?

Thanks

Most use #10,
But there are after market nipples for revolver that use #11. There's no telling if someone has changed out the nipples until you try a fit.

No ones change out the nipples since the gun has never been shot.

I did try a #11 and it went on fine. Just didn't know if a 10 would also go on fine and be tighter.

Well the 11's might fit on there OK, but get dislodged/fall off when the guns fired, :idunno:
I had an ASM 1860 and it sure`nuff used #10's

No telling, they were not consistent in this area.

My ASM likes Remington #11s.

Too hard a hammer strike can make them fall apart and off, they could get stuck between the gap for the cylinder safety pin and pull off or get stuck because flash hole is too big.

Flip the gun to the right and cock it. This allows loose caps to fall away and not into the action.

spitdog said:
I have a 1851 colt navy made in 1985 by asm . 44 cal.
I have shot black powder guns (TC Hawken ) along time but never a pistol.

I have ordered 454 round balls, wads and nipple wrench.

Does anyone know what size caps these will use?

Thanks

My ASM 3rd Model Dragoon had 2 x #11, 3 x #10 and one that we never figured out. I changed them all for #11 asp, easy to find most anywhere, even here in Yesterdayland.

tac

Well , I hope mine likes 11's to because I have 2000 of those .
If not I think it would be an advantage to my wallet to change out the nipples to one that do like 11's . Slix shot nipples will be my choice.

Latest posts

Back