• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ashmore Warranted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzly Adams

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Received this flint lock marked "Ashmore Warranted" on it. English style, and LH, which leads me to believe it to be for a double gun most likely? As luck would have it, I am LH, so it'll make a fine little rifle or pistol. It has never been used.

Anyhow, any ideas on the name? I doubt it is too old, but I would just like to see if there is any other info to be had on this lock. Thanks!

Dixie Gun Works, I will presume. It's actually a pretty good looking lock!

That's the flintlock I purchased from DGW for my first build...but, it had a cracked frizzen, sent it back and ordered a small Siler kit. Still have the LR w/ the Siler I put together......Fred

I think it's rather pretty as well! Seems to spark nicely too. My only two worries I have are that the hammer throw is a little gritty (polishing will resolve that though), and the angle of the frizzen seems too close to 90º and a ridge is already forming where the flint strikes it. But considering what I paid, I couldn't be happier!

Goo, upon close inspection, the mainspring appears to be cast, to me.

That frizzen is pretty much straight up and down, isn't it?

The mainspring looks like the forged springs I got from Dixie years and years ago.

Frighteningly close to 90°! I reckon I could heat, bend, and re heat treat the frizzen, but I am probably best off leaving it alone.

I think I see remnants of a casting spur on the mainspring, but it is very hard to tell.

That's actually a nice looking lock; it's not easy to find a flintcock with that "pigeon-chested" shape. Here's my Birmingham export (Ashmore, Ketland...) lock. It's a Chambers Late Ketland with a Rifle Shoppe Ashmore cock and "hardware store lock" engraving. Would love to find someone who could stamp it with "London Warranted" for the finishing touch.

]Link[/url]

Why do you call that "hardware store" lock engraving? I think it looks quite nice, and certainly HC / PC in the styling?

Good question. "Hardware Store" locks were those imported by the barrel-full from England c.1790-1830 and sold off-the-shelf. They were relatively inexpensive and of good quality, thus saving a builder much time and money. The locks are quite often encountered on guns ranging from New England militia muskets to finely made PA rifles. The flintcocks are smaller--almost dainty--often sporting a "high chest" (as opposed to the "swan shape"). The engraving on my lock represents a common pattern found on these locks. BTW, the closest I've seen to a repro lock in terms of this styling was the old CVA "Maslin" lock and the same made by the 1960's builder, Russ Hamm. Unfortunately, neither are of those were of particularly good quality. I am rather puzzled by the lack of this particular style on the reproduction market today.

Smollett

Back