• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Can you identify this DGW lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leedy

32 Cal
Reaction score
I purchased a flintlock rifle with this lock on it. The lock works as it should but I’d like to get a second one and/or some spare parts just in case. It’s labeled DGW (presumably Dixie Gun Works) but has no other markings. It’s been engraved with Ashmore Warranted but I think that was done by the builder because it matches the other engravings on the rifle. The lock plate profile looks a little different than a Dixie Gun Works Mountain Rifle especially in that it uses two lock bolts. Any help identifying it and sourcing one? Thanks!
CFD66D68-EE05-4B8D-B862-5CFCEA6A4D6D.jpeg
D30D0A03-184A-4F0B-96D8-FFE6083DDA52.jpeg
5BDAEFB1-4D98-4444-8B8F-C8F2E6D54B87.jpeg

I have the same lock but in left handed and believe they are standard Dixie imported locks. Mine doesn’t have the added engraving. I’m confident they where a product sold a number of years ago.
A81D6EC8-D7D5-4205-92AF-5651E1BA5548 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
Thanks for the response. From your pictures, it looks like the back of the lock plate was recontoured and probably the front lock bolt was drilled and tapped. This definitely gives me something to go on. I appreciate it!

It's a Dixie Ashmore lock. They sold them for years but checking the website just now it looks like it's been discontinued. They do have some spare parts left.

It's a Dixie Ashmore lock. They sold them for years but checking the website just now it looks like it's been discontinued. They do have some spare parts left.
Thanks for the positive ID. I’ll set up a saved search for a spare lock and parts on the usual auction sites.

i have one sans the engraving on my last SMR build. not the best lock but it functions great.
My lock sparks great also. I’m just not sure how many miles I want to put on her if I can’t readily get replacement parts. 🤔

Ah, who am I kidding? I’m now just rationalizing getting a second rifle. 😂

Back