• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Army vs. Navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trettie

Matchlocks and Flintlocks
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've decided to expand into the wonderful world of cap and ball pistols. I've got a number of matchlocks and flintlocks, so I'm not new to BP, and I've pretty much made up my mind on a Remington New Model (probably Uberti), but still deciding between Army vs. Navy. I primarily just target shoot and plink, not for defense or hunting. Conversion cylinders are available for both should I decide to go that route.

Any particulars that make you like your Army or Navy above the alternative?

Thanks,

Tom R.

Well, if its a Remington, the Army is a lot more common. Even if it uses a little more powder, I myself would opt for the Army.
On the target, I think most (All?) the competitors use the Army as it makes a bigger hole. The bigger hole might just touch the bulls eye and count.
On Colt's I like a 36 Navy 1851. On Remington, the 44 Army.

trettie said:
Hello all,

I've decided to expand into the wonderful world of cap and ball pistols. I've got a number of matchlocks and flintlocks, so I'm not new to BP, and I've pretty much made up my mind on a Remington New Model (probably Uberti), but still deciding between Army vs. Navy. I primarily just target shoot and plink, not for defense or hunting. Conversion cylinders are available for both should I decide to go that route.

Any particulars that make you like your Army or Navy above the alternative?

Thanks,

Tom R.

I would go Uberti, you can drift the front sight if needed, Pietta you can not.

In talking with some of the top line shooters there is really no difference between shooting a .36 versus .44 when it comes to accuracy. A round ball is a round ball.

Some of the older shooters might be shooting a .36 for the reduced recoil.

Some folks are going to argue that is cheaper to shoot a .36 versus a .44. If you are worried about pennies per shot, need to find a new sport.

A .44 uses a .454 ball which are easy to find.
A .36 uses a .375 ball, but where it begins to shine is with a .380 ball, but then you have to begin casting if you want .380 balls.

Look at Powder Inc. and order a pistol cylinder loading stand, your pistol will thank you as well your hand.

.36 versus.44, advantage one way or the other.

"On the target, I think most (All?) the competitors use the Army as it makes a bigger hole. The bigger hole might just touch the bulls eye and count."

That is not true, in NMLRA sanctioned matches, it is the center of the ball which is measured.

Most of all line shooters shoot the Remington's in "As Issue" matches is because they are more accurate, pure and simple. They have a fixed frame where Colt does not.

I 2nd. Uberti. I think Colt's involvement with Uberti helped change the quality. A lot of companies found out that building a quality firearm is the way to go.

If you walk the line in Friendship or Phoenix, there 2 dominant pistols, Remington 1858 in As Issue matches and the ROA in the revolver class.

I have not seen a Colt on the line in a As Issue match unless it was the person's first match.

hadden west said:
I 2nd. Uberti. I think Colt's involvement with Uberti helped change the quality. A lot of companies found out that building a quality firearm is the way to go.

In the past Pietta had some problems, I cannot say how they are today. Lots of folks bought them from Cabelas as Cabelas discounted them heavily.

From reading here I went with Uberti, other reason I can call Taylor's can speak directly with the Gunsmith if needed.

I have gone with Cimarron now, I can make a road trip and fondle what they have in stock. I do not see a vast difference between Uberti and Cimarron, but Cimarron offers finishes which Uberti does not.

Another vote for the big bore, it makes a bigger hole.

crockett said:
On Colt's I like a 36 Navy 1851. On Remington, the 44 Army.
I agree.
I understand what crockett is saying here. If you want a 36 the Colt navy is the way to go, there's just something about the way the grip is that feels good in your hand, whereas the Remington navy is no different from the army sans the caliber.

If I was to compete with a BP pistol I would use the Remington Army but if I was just to plink with it then I would use the Colt 1851, 1861, or 1862 - I just LOVE the way they look and feel :hatsoff: .

I really like the feel and balance of the 1851 Navy. Beats the other colts. But in my hands, the top strap frame models are more accurate. Really does not matter whether a Spiller, Roger and Spencer or Remington. My first cap and ball revolver was a brass frame 36 Remington repro. I should never have sold that gun and I have had a soft spot ever since for 36 Remington guns. When it really comes down to a day of shooting for match accuracy, a 36 has the edge just for recoil and fatigue factors. Not that it is inherently more accurate itself. Absent a real desire to compete at friendship type matches, I would go with the 44. You can only load a 36 up so far and a 44 can always be loaded down. I have shot a lot of vermin with a Ruger Old Army over the past 30 years. Groundhogs, raccoons, possum, skunk, cats, fox etc. A 36 would not be as effective against some of those.

I've had both the 44 & 36 Remingtons. I gave the 36 to my son in law a few years back. Both were older Pieta's from the late 70s or early 80's. I put the 44 together from a kit many years ago and still have it.

I liked the 36 and dispatched a number of cottontails with it when hunting. It is a great caliber for small game and the 36 Remington is a nice gun. Since you had one before and liked it, I would opt for the 36. You can always add a 44 later.

The '58 Remington is more suited to a conversion cylinder because of the top strap on the pistol, but extra percussion cylinders are near just as convenient.

I also like the balance and feel of the '51 Colt Navy style pistols better. It just feels more natural in the hand than the Remington.

For plinking I would go with '51 Navy style pistol.

I had two .36 Remingtons.
One became a .40 bore to use off the shelf .41 molds. Having a .36 refit to use the available multitudes of .44 molds might work purty good too but the .41 molds were already in hand.

Latest posts

Back