• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Armi sport Zouave

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gungeek

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know the twist rate of the Armi Sport Zoave rifle?, i have seen 1:48,1:56,1:66 on the internet.I was also wondering how they do with patched round ball,because most shoot at my black powder club is with round ball.

thx,

Scotty :confused:

on there web site they list the twist as 1 in 1660mm which is 1in 65and 3/8inches.[url] http://www.armisport.com/eng/dettaglioA.asp?idSottoFamiglia=9[/url]
bernie :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Zouaves originally had 1-48" twist but this has been modified a time or two over the years to suit modern shooters who wanted better round ball accuracy. The M.1841 Mississippi got the change first but the M.1863 Zouave was soon to follow. The actual rifling twist will depend on the age of your rifle.

I guess the zouave will work fine on the round ball only ranges then... :grin:
Thx for the help...

Scotty, :)

The Zouave I had maybe 35 years ago was a fair roundball gun but it never shot a minne worth a hoot. I seem to recall the Dixie Gun Works catalog listed the twist at that time as 1-96". I don't know if that ever was correct however. You will need to have a range rod to load as that skinny little steel rod is pretty hard to grip when ramming a tight patched ball.

The early Zouaves (actually called the Model 1862 Remington Rifle) made by Antonio Zoli have a reputation for accuracy with minnies. In fact, even with all the other repro muskets availible, the Zouave still has a big following among the North-South Skirmish folks.

I think the Euroarms version is a decendent of the old Zoli made gun. I don't know about the Armisport version.

Most of the competition shooters fire a very tight minnie, usually about .578 or .579 based on the actually bore diameter. They work up a load of about 40 - 45 grns of 2f and do very well.

Hello , when you say "originally" is it only for the Zoli or for original Zouave Mle 1863?.
I have an authentic remington Zouave seven groove rifled ,and I search to know his twist and if the 3 or 5 groove rifled have the same twist .
Thanks for your Help
Alain

He must be referring to the "original" replicas! The original Remington-made guns had a 1:60" twist, & had seven-groove rifling. (This information is from the book "The Rifled Musket" by Claude E. Fuller).

My uncle last year gave me a 2 bander PB rifle since he knew I do civil war reenacting. I tore it down to give it a major cleaning and thats when I found out it wasn't an Army sport but an Armi-Jaeger. Does anyone know anything about this rifle or history?

I have one! Very nice, accurate rifle with the right load. I was the second owner, the first had left the gun hanging on the wall all of its life.

I use a Lee .575 495 grain traditional minie, 50:50 olive oil/beeswax lube and 45-50 grains FFG. Its pretty accurate but the front sight is way too low for anything under 100-150 metres.
I keep meaning to glue a bit of brass shim to the front site to see if I can fix that.

Have not been able to get good performance with a .575 round ball so far, although I suspect using a double patch (0.020 instead of 0.010) helps, but is really hard to load unless you have a mallet!

So why are you not trying, .012" to .015" thick patches? They are available from Track. You should be able to seat them without a mallet.

Back