• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Armi sport springfield 1861

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigderunner

40 Cal
Reaction score
What’s everyone’s thoughts on an 1861 springfield reproduction by armi sports?
I know where one is for sale that comes with caps, 5 pounds of powder, 25 coated mini balls and a bullet mold. I’m just wondering if it’s worth 1000

Right now if the gun is in good shape that seems like a reasonable price the 5 lbs of powder on a good day will run in the 200-250 dollar range. Figure another 45-50 dollars for the bullet mold.

Right now if the gun is in good shape that seems like a reasonable price the 5 lbs of powder on a good day will run in the 200-250 dollar range. Figure another 45-50 dollars for the bullet mold.
I may be able to get it a little cheaper than that. I don’t have any experience with the armi sport brand so I ask to make sure

I carried a Armisport 61 Springfield while reenacting the war between the states for close to 25 years, lots of blanks went down that tube, even shot minie ball at the range with it, if you take care of the gun as in cleaning and general maint. it is a good weapon.

I carried a Armisport 61 Springfield while reenacting the war between the states for close to 25 years, lots of blanks went down that tube, even shot minie ball at the range with it, if you take care of the gun as in cleaning and general maint. it is a good weapon.
That’s awesome I appreciate it. We use to have an original enfield and springfield that my dad re-enacted with I carried both when I was young also. Wound up selling both guns to a friend of ours and not sure what happend to them after that

Is this gun from a N-SSA member? Let's break the deal down- 5lbs of real black is currently worth about $150 if still sealed. The minies aren't worth anything other than to get started. The mold, what is it and who made it? Rifle in good condition is worth about $800-900. Overall, it sounds like a decent deal and how good depends on the mold. If it's a Lee, then the mold has no value in this context. If it's been matched to the bore of this rifle, and is made by a quality mold maker, then the deal is pretty good.

Non N-SSA member, powder is sealed and it’s some type of custom mold not sure the make.

I have had mine for many years and killed 3 pigs with it. Mine loves the Lee wad cutter minie ball the best. Sounds like a good deal!
I have one of the kits for that rifle on order......can you tell me what diameter minie ball you are shooting?? .575, .578, .580 etc???? The web-site says the barrel is bored .580 at the lands, so I'm wondering what is the best round to feed the thing.....thanks

I have one of the kits for that rifle on order......can you tell me what diameter minie ball you are shooting?? .575, .578, .580 etc???? The web-site says the barrel is bored .580 at the lands, so I'm wondering what is the best round to feed the thing.....thanks
You'll have to measure your own bore as they do vary despite what the manufacturer says. Once that is determined, order a sampler from here-

https://www.lodgewood.com/Bullets_c_7.html
They are the only commercial supplier in the country I trust for quality minies. Track, Log Cabin et al are great at patch round ball, but minies are a world unto themselves.

Get your rifle in hand, measure the bore and then we can go on from there.

You'll have to measure your own bore as they do vary despite what the manufacturer says. Once that is determined, order a sampler from here-

https://www.lodgewood.com/Bullets_c_7.html
They are the only commercial supplier in the country I trust for quality minies. Track, Log Cabin et al are great at patch round ball, but minies are a world unto themselves.

Get your rifle in hand, measure the bore and then we can go on from there.
Thank you!

Thank you!
Since you're in SC, you should check out the North South Skirmish Association. We compete with Civil War arms and artillery. We just finished our 2022 Fall Nationals and it was a hoot!

Here's a link to the best video that covers what we do-

Latest posts

Back