• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

are bores tapered ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy2175m4

32 Cal
Reaction score
my new rifled musket muzzle loader seems to have a tapered barrel, the 58 caliber minie balls are snug for the first 12" or so, then they slide down easily to the bottom of the barrel (32"), I am getting ready to take it apart and do some measurements,

seems odd to me, are rifled musket barrels supposed to be the same diameter all the way thru ? are center fire rifle barrels the same dia all the way thru ?

my new rifled musket muzzle loader seems to have a tapered barrel, the 58 caliber minie balls are snug for the first 12" or so, then they slide down easily to the bottom of the barrel (32"), I am getting ready to take it apart and do some measurements,

seems odd to me, are rifled musket barrels supposed to be the same diameter all the way thru ? are center fire rifle barrels the same dia all the way thru ?
Since it’s a minie and doesn’t engage rifling (theoretically) until the powder charge explodes, I’d be suspicious. Try different powder grade and grain. I use 50 grain of 3F for Hodgkin and 585213 at 50 and 100 yds. I’ve found more powder does not improve minie accuracy. Try patch and ball also. Many of my friends swear by it.

You're better off with a lose chamber and tight muzzle than to have that reversed.

And an 18 inch group is something you're doing wrong. Sighting. Flinch. Projectile choice. Powder charge. Etc.

There are many original military barrels that tapered from breech to muzzle. So the bullet can expand and get squeezed into the rifling before being spit out.

And tearing the rifle apart is a bad idea.

What kind of 32" rifle. Zouave? Enfield?

Last edited:
Taper or choke is good. Making it deliberately is expensive.

I am struggling to get a PH 2-band to shoot accurately. There is an art to it, apparently.

Taper or choke is good. Making it deliberately is expensive.

I am struggling to get a PH 2-band to shoot accurately. There is an art to it, apparently.
There is no rocket science in getting a Parker Hale to shoot
20180420_122543.jpg

I forgot my original point, PH used a hammer forged barrel with tapered grooves. They are known to shoot great.

Latest posts

Back