• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone use a card/wad under patched ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyKid

36 Cal.
Reaction score
The title says it all. I've recently read of folks using either cards or wads under the patched ball. Does anyone here do this and what benefits do you get from it?
Thanks,
Tom

I was getting so-so groups out of my 45 flinter, with some patch tearing and burn through. I decided to try 45 caliber lubed felt pistol wads(for cap and ball revolvers), and No more patch problems and the groups at 70 yds shrank unbelievably!!! Turned this 30 year old "minute Man" kit built rifle into a serious tack driver.

Also makes cleaning and loading easier due to softened fowling.....give it a whirl.

I know you posted this in the flintlock area, but I do use an overpowder wad under a PRB in my Lyman GPR .54 percussion. It seems to help prevent blowby and keeps the patch intact. It definitely tightened up my groups at the range.

Thanks for the link to the previous discussion. Like so many other things, it appears to be a matter of experimentation to see what works best.
Tom

When I go hunting, and if I remember, I put a small wad of waxed paper between the powder and the patched ball. My thought is to keep the patch grease & oil away from the powder as I may leave it loaded for days.

I use either a leather wad or folded up dry patch between the powder and heavily lubed patch. It gives me more consistant velocity.

In my 54 Rice barrel I use a dry wool wad between the powder and patched ball. This addition shrank my groups and allows me to leave my rifle loaded, sometimes for months at a time, with no patch lube migration into the powder during deer season.

Seems like a long time to keep a rifle loaded but with a white lightning liner mine always goes off like I just loaded it when I do get a shot at a deer.

I will add, I am a fair weather hunter and don't hunt with my flintlock if there is the slightest drizzle.

Back