• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone have pics of groups from a Lyman GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stronics

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone have some groups they could post from GPR rifle?
I'm pretty new to this and was wondering what kind of accuracy can be obtained. I'm struggling with the guns I have, but just keep after it.

Thanks,
David

no pics but just got back from the range after shooting my new lefty flinter for the first time, With 60g fffg KIK .530 rb and .018 ticking it printed 2 three shot groups holes touching at 25 yards. I was impressed! I shot 6 shots with the same load at 50yd and the group opened up to about 10 inches. I'll need to do some more load development at longer range next time out. These guns are very capable.

Yea. I just ran out of time today, my .54 G.R. Douglas barreled gun likes 80 gr. 60 just seemed like a good place to start. :grin:

Lyman Great Plains 54cal 3 shot group at 50yds.Black is traced bottom of soup can.
2280592292_05a9122a34.jpg

Lyman 45cal Plains.
3123029627_736845792e.jpg

Have a Lyman Great Plains percussion in 50cal that gets less than 1 1/2"groups at 50yds with a .490 RB,.020 patch and both 80grs and 100grs but I prefer the 80grs when I hunt with it.
Sorry,no pics of that one.

These were the initial groups with my GPR after I assembled it last year. They were shot at 25 yards with .015" pillow ticking and Stumpkiller's Moose Snot with various charges of Goex 2F.
DSCN1684.jpg

DSCN1685.jpg

DSCN1689.jpg

work the load up 5 grains at a time,3 shot groups. then swab.
all this powder ???, seems a tighter patch, polished bore might be the answer ? :wink:

The patches looked pretty good there were some rifling cuts due to breaking in a new barrel, but no burned patches.

I'm shooting 100grs of FFF Goex BP. .530 round ball with .015 T/C patches with bore butter lube. All day long I get 1" 3 shot groups at 50 yards. I have it dead on. It hasn't failed me the past three years. I'll have to read up on posting pictures.

what did the patches look like after the 120 grain load???

The question should be what did your "shoulder feel" like after the 120 grain load??? :shocked2:

My shoulder didn't feel near as bad compared to shooting my Marlin 45-70 govt with 430 grain cast bullets. :)

Well I can see I need to try some more things. I try to do everything the same, change only one thing at a time.
I appreciate all the replys,
David

It seems like black powder guns are like women. Sometimes it takes a little while before you can figure them out but then they seem to warm up to you. Keep taking her out on dates and sooner or later she'll give you the goods.

Jeff

Mine is a 50 cal. and it shoots well. I shoot the .490 ball by Hornady and .018 patch. I get good groups with my 55 grain load for targets ans 100 grains for hunting. I'll be 68 this month so my groups are not as good as the ones posted! Geo. T.

Roguedog said:
It seems like black powder guns are like women. Sometimes it takes a little while before you can figure them out but then they seem to warm up to you. Keep taking her out on dates and sooner or later she'll give you the goods.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,
You plainly know a lot about guns & women!
But your advice is right on :thumbsup:
Fred

I shot this one for one of Jethro's postal matches. GPR flint. 100 yards benched. 90 grs. Goex FFg, one 0.030 wad, 0.010" patch, .490 RB.
GPR3shotat100.jpg

Geo
I'm 70 now and thinking part of my problem is the eyes too. It seems to be harder to see the front sight clear.
David

With 60g fffg KIK .530 rb and .018 ticking it printed 2 three shot groups holes touching at 25 yards. I was impressed! I shot 6 shots with the same load at 50yd and the group opened up to about 10 inches

This is just my opinion and you can take if for whatever you think it's worth!

When loads open that wide from 25 to 50 yards it is not likely that it is caused by the charge itself. It is far more likely that your barrel is tearing your patches up due to the sharp edges left from rifling the barrel. This is a chronic problem with Lyman rifles!!

It's not to say that their barrels are "bad", but they are not at all finished like you will find done by most of our American barrel makers. They need some finish work.

There are two ways to get there; First, you can get 500 or 660 balls together along with five or six pounds of powder and proceed to shoot them all! The second method (my prefered) is to fire lap the bore and work on the crown.

If you look at the crown of your barrel and then compare it to this crown.
6traditionsafter.JPG

Your crown is probably a set of two squared off 45 deg corners with plenty of snags in the rifling section. This is a poor crown for an ml rifle! Your crown is tearing at the patches before the gun is completely loaded! Then they are worked over again as the ball exits.

But, most of the damage done while actually shooting is caused by the sharp unpolished corners of the rifling. They are slicing and dicing your patches. Your rifle will not "burn" thru patches without first slicing them up. Once they are sliced, the gases easily blow by the patch and burn them.

When your barrel is properly conditioned, you can shoot it with a proper fitting patch and no lube without burning your patch. :shocked2: It will, however, be very difficult to load. :haha:

Below is a link to how I do this. There are other methods and others will surely check in here with further advice.
Barrel conditioning

Thanks for the artical, it was very informative .
I did take a small tapered fine stone I had for my die grinder and knocked off the sharp edges of the lands when I got home by just spining it between my fingers.

I haven't made it back out to the range yet to see if this helps, :thumbsup:

Back