• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

anyone have a .50 smootbore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkmountainken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
.62 and .54 get the most attention but I was just curious if anyone here shoots a .50 cal smoothbore? i'm looking for something a little different and had pondered a .50 smoothie.

I have a .58 and love it...it's a straight stocked English fowler, 44 inch bbl....real light, with a tapered fore stock, fast swinging.

I recently picked up a 54 that I'm in love with, but Crewdawg on here has a 45 smoothie that he's partial to.

years ago Green Mountain made a .50 smoothy drop-in for T/C, we sold a number of these and our customers were well pleased with them. There are probably some of these floating around out there some place yet.

You mean a..., 38 bore ?

In know in some of the countries in Europe in the 70's and 80's (probably still true today) it was a lot easier for them to own a 28 gauge (.55-.56) smooth rifle, and I think also a 38 Bore (.50) than it was to have a rifled piece. So I think they were actually made by TC and also sold by CVA. (Maybe it was just CVA)

LD

It was the light weight shepherd type smooth bores of Spain that got me to wanting one. Still need to fabricate a sling, polish the edges on the horn butt plate. And I want some kind of rear sight as well.
The choice of the Deerhunter (with the .50 cal 48" twist rifled barrel being retained for a drop-in) was a natural with the miniscule weight, the lock that never fails to go bang and the ease of fitting an octagonal to tapered round smooth bore barrel, no special breech, tang or under rib being needed. Some day I might make a new trigger guard out of a piece of something, maybe.

i cannot see any use for hit, unless you want to be p.c.. it is not use full with shot. if you have a bad barrel in 36 or forty-five than you might change it.

My wife has one. It weighs about 5 pounds. Mike Lea sells the barrels and parts as a kit if you are interested. It is a flintlock and is a copy of an original English "boys" shotgun. Also available with a rifle barrel. With 35 grains of 3F it will go through a stack of magazines.

rj morrison said:
i cannot see any use for hit, unless you want to be p.c.. it is not use full with shot. if you have a bad barrel in 36 or forty-five than you might change it.
Have seen my hunting episodes”‹ with my 45 and shot?

B.

Many Klatch said:
My wife has one. It weighs about 5 pounds. Mike Lea sells the barrels and parts as a kit if you are interested. It is a flintlock and is a copy of an original English "boys" shotgun. Also available with a rifle barrel. With 35 grains of 3F it will go through a stack of magazines.

Where can we find one of these kits?

rj morrison Said:

Have seen my hunting episodes”‹ with my 45 and shot?

B.

I can't see how it wouldn't work for anything that a .410 shotgun would be applied (although the modern ones tend to be choked full to get the most out of the small amount of shot), and in fact in the .45 or in this case the .50, would work a bit more like a modern .410 on small game since the .50 will not be choked so will benefit from a little bit more shot.

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
I can't see how it wouldn't work for anything that a .410 shotgun would be applied (although the modern ones tend to be choked full to get the most out of the small amount of shot), and in fact in the .45 or in this case the .50, would work a bit more like a modern .410 on small game since the .50 will not be choked so will benefit from a little bit more shot.

LD

The also work exceptionally well on turkey.

I have one! I bought it from a fellow I work with recently. It is based on a flintlock trade gun style. Iron mounted, browned metal, large trigger guard, serpent side plate, etc. I have not got it out to the range yet, but I hope to soon. I am planning to give it to my son, should he happen to be interested. Should be a good starter for him.

Back