• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone ever built an English Style Sporter?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavageArcher

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi I've been fasinated by English sporters for awhile. I've been wondering how hard it would be to make one. I've found advanced kits from Track of the Wolf and various parts from other suppliers such as the correct locks and other hardware. But price is a bit steep for my humble budget. I'm pretty new to BP building though I did help my dad 25 years back build several kits and I've done some gunsmithing work own my own mordern guns.

I'm now building a .54 cal English Sporter from the new Jim Chambers kit with a Rice barrel. I ordered the kit with upgraded English walnut and frankly this wood is a delight to work. This is my first flinter kit and I'm 'having a ball'. The fine metal details of the butt plate took me the better part of a week to inlet. I readily admit that I may be accused of heresy in that I like to use a Dremel with fine tips for enlaying. At this time, I'm making a Snabbel forend from ebony. So far -so good.

check out muzzelloder or muzzel blast for english sporter rifles from a supplier in Tacoma Washington. I can remember his name. He uses the Davis Alexander Henry lock.

silvey1.jpg
[/img]
silvey5.jpg
[/img]
silvey3.jpg
[/img]
silvey8.jpg
[/img]
silvey10.jpg
[/img]
Here's a 1790's period one I built several years ago. English walnut stock, Getz .50 cal 36" barrel, L&R lock.

I put together a English rifle I got several years ago from Getz barrel company. I live about 30 miles from his business. He offers a few kits using his barrels. It has a 54 cal. 30 inch swamped barrel , walnut stock and a round faced Chambers English lock. Very good quailty parts and the balance is very good due to the swamped barrel. Steve

Back