• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

anyone else

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1eyemountainmen

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Is anybody else getting the hunting "wanting to go". Our doe/fawn season for unit 24 starts Sept. 1st antelope starts on the 15th. I've been shooting in 100f heat. My rilfe has been shooting very well. I just want to go :surrender:

Yes. Absolutely Yes. I have the bug but cant scratch it, so to speak, until September when Massachusetts black bear season opens and then mid September, Connecticut bow opens.

I won't be able to hunt deer with the muzzleloader until November. I do have the hunt bug but the muzzleloader bug won't be scratched until November. :(

I am so jealous. Wish something was open that early here. Saw the Great Land once before. I think about that place at least once per week.

I have my Ct. private land ML tags for 2 months already. I'm really hoping I get the Dr's green light to shoot by then. (Had my shoulder "rebuilt" a few weeks ago) :shake:

all ya guys r lucky :bow: ....PA deer season's don't open till oct fer archery fer 6 weeks, then regular season the monday after thanksgiving fer 2 weeks, then the day after x-mass fer 3 weeks of flintlock season....bear opens the mon, tue, wed before thanksgiving state wide then the first week of deer season here in the northeast part of the state....good luck to all :v .............bob

Bob, I hunt centerfire 2nd week in Potter Co. Been doing so for many yrs. Just hope I'll be good to go by then. I usually go MLing in Ct. right after that. Usually my "deer eyes" are good by then. :grin:

Can't wait that long...going after doves with a Flintlock over Labor Day weekend, and just finished builkding these in preparation for it:
================================================
Paper reload carriers for powder or shot...following the general design of paper cartridges from yesteryear...plan on using these for a dove shoot this fall:

1) Cut sheets of 8.5" x 11" in half twice to get 4+1/4" x 5+1/2" sized papers
2)Roll a paper up using a 5/8" dowel with the end result being 4+1/4" long
3)Fold flaps on one end like a coin wrapper and crease shut against a hard surface
4)Pour in the powder or shot
5)Flatten the excess paper right in front of the contents to make sort of a tail out of the excess paper
6)1st fold = the tail folding 90 degrees flat across / above the contents, crease firmly;
7)2nd fold = the remaining tail wrapping back behind the tail’s body, crease firmly;
8)3rd fold = wrapping the remaining tip back across the tail’s body, crease firmly;
9) To use, tear off the tail and dump the contents down bore.
10) Swing on Dove and pull trigger
11) (following the shot, cussing is optional)

071507PaperShotReloads-Process.jpg

RB, Good on ya.
Doves are a "protected songbird" here.
They drive my hounds nuts.

bucktales said:
Bob, I hunt centerfire 2nd week in Potter Co. Been doing so for many yrs.

i don't go out till wed or thur the first week, then till friday the 2nd week, and i stay the heck outta dodge on saturdays :rotf: ....i'll be out real heavy in bow season this year and the week long anything goes muzzleloading season the 3rd week in oct too, plus alot after x-mass fer flintlock :v ...........bob

1eye,
I got untill the middle of October untill the Primitive Muzzleloader hunt in Nova Scotia starts.It's only for a week but I can hunt in a Sanctuary that nobody else is allowed to hunt in.To top it all off there probably won't be over a Dozen guys in there and it's a very large area. :grin:
I have been a regular at the range trying to keep in practice.

bucktales said:
RB, Good on ya.
Is that right...no dove hunting in CT?

I think the tree-huggers (long hand for idiots)also got dove hunting banned in Michigan if my memory serves me.

Seems like every year they try to introduce a bill a here to stop Dove hunting but we manage to bloke them. Although the hunting isn't like it was, we still can still hunt Doves here.

I haven't had the BP shotgun out to hunt in years, but this year I'm itching. Gonna scratch on Aug 15 when crow starts, got some of those duck egg eating #%$^#% that need shooting. Been seeing more resident geese around this year, too, and that starts Sep 1. :grin:

I'm going to South Africa in September for my 1st safari,plains game. Will be using my .30-06 for that.Don't want to look or screw up like a pilgrim over there.Anyway, when I get back it'll be all traditional bowhunting and ML for the entire deer season this year. I won't even take my slug gun out at all. Bow or black powder only for me.

bucktales said:
RB, Good on ya.

Hi Ed,

you are joking? A dove is never a songbird. Guess you have some members of the green party in your state gouvernment. :rotf:

Regards

Dirk

bucktales said:
RB, Good on ya.

Hi Ed,

you are joking? A dove is never a songbird. Guess you have some members of the green party in your state gouvernment. :rotf:

Regards

Dirk

The mourning dove has been considered a song bird for much of the northeast. Thus it has never had a hunting season. It seems that dove hunting is more of a southern tradition. Although, Connecticut had a dove season in the past. I want to say that was a good 30 or 40 years ago.

I have a half acre of winter oats that are just beginning to show the beginnings of brown. If they last, I am going to mow them 2 days before the dove season starts. I am going to sit at home and hunt doves this year! Turkeys and doves should be in the oats heavy right after I mow them. All the other close places are steel shot only!

Trailgunner said:
I'm going to South Africa in September for my 1st safari,plains game. Will be using my .30-06 for that.Don't want to look or screw up like a pilgrim over there.

Tailgunner,
Don't leave your Hawken at home & regret it afterwards. Anything you can take with a 30-06, get closer and you can take it with a .50 muzzle loader.
What have you got lined up & where?
Regards
Oscar

Back