• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anybody made a roundball mold?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how they kept the mold from melting or the ball fusing with the mold? 🤨

Smoking the mold keeps it from fusing and the mass of the mold acts like a giant heat sink.
You wouldn't be able to cast with speed but it should work nicely. Hard part would be finding a proper sized marble these days. I lost all my marbles years ago.

Smoking the mold keeps it from fusing and the mass of the mold acts like a giant heat sink.
You wouldn't be able to cast with speed but it should work nicely. Hard part would be finding a proper sized marble these days. I lost all my marbles years ago.
You’d have to find a proper sized ball bearing. You could press the bearing into aluminum to make the cavity, but I’d remove material first to make the final press easier and keep distortion of the block to a minimum. May need an hydraulic press to get the required pressure.

You’d have to find a proper sized ball bearing. You could press the bearing into aluminum to make the cavity, but I’d remove material first to make the final press easier and keep distortion of the block to a minimum. May need an hydraulic press to get the required pressure.

Again, the problem would be finding the proper sized bearing.

It seems that making a mold from your ball using something not requiring precise tooling would be highly desirable, so do they ever make bullet molds from plaster paris, cement, of something similar?

Now why would I want to buy a mold when I have made a lock from scratch, bored out an old .22 barrel to.27, reamed it, threaded it, made a breech plug, drum and nipple, front and rear sights, trigger and stock with buttplate. I'm not looking for someone to do this for me I'm looking for alternative ways I might approach this and be somewhat assured of success. Thanks again.
Dave

It seems that making a mold from your ball using something not requiring precise tooling would be highly desirable, so do they ever make bullet molds from plaster paris, cement, of something similar?
I think all of those materials would be too porous.

Back