• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any pics on modena

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1eyemountainmen

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wanting to try and make a pouch like the one that was carried by Mariano Modena. I have the book "The Kentucky rifle Hunting Pouch", it show the pouch but not very well. Any help or ideas?

Modena's rifle is on display at the Denver museum.if it survived, his pouch might be with it. Worth askin.

Hello One eye

You might do a search on here for the Modina and find something. I know John L. Hinnant was doing a Modina and he might have info on a hunting pouch also but not sure.

rabbit03

Any way you could post the picture you found? It would be fun to try to back engineer the design. We maybe could see if it was a single or double, if it was welt construction, etc.
Moose

Bob Gular said:
Modena's rifle is on display at the Denver museum.if it survived, his pouch might be with it. Worth askin.
No longer - the rifle and accoutrements are now in a private museum in New Mexico. The best pics available of his pouch are in Charles Hanson's book "The Plains Rifle"

I examined the pouch in the 1970's and to the best of my recollection:
Size is approximately 7" x 9", it's a single pouch, the flap is closed with a single brass button centered on the flap, and it was made of lynx fur (best guess - the fur is well worn - lynx today is illegal - IMO badger would be a good approximation) over brain tan. The edges of the pouch and strap are finished with "pinked" red trade wool. The strap is very wide...

Hope this helps.......

Do you remember the shape? Squared, rounded? No fringe, I'm guessing.
Moose

Greetings Gray Wolf,

would you happen to know the name and or location of the museum in NM or a phone number? I would like to see the Modina Rifle personally and would appreciate any info you can provide.

rabbit03

Back