• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any of you guys ever use one of these?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was shooting a 50 cal Kentucky long rifle with 80 grains of FFG and round balls. After around ball 20 I could not find a spot on my shoulder that did not hurt. It actually beat my shoulder black and blue.
Too much powder for target shooting. Good hunting load but not for long sessions of shooting at paper targets. I use 50 grains FFFg , a cloth patch and .495 roundball. I can shoot all afternoon and no soreness.

I shoot my 45/70 with hot loads all the time and don't need one, but once I had a 338 Win Mag. On sighting it in, that thing kicked the dog snot outta me. Of course I ran about two boxes of ammo through it before I decided to try something else. I bought a Paast recoil magnum pad and it sure helped. Only thing is it really kinda got in the way when shouldering the gun in a standing position. Worked great for slow benchrest shots. Never did get that gun sighted in. Found out later that Ruger (it was an M77) had a batch of bad barrels that all ended up with wandering zeros. Till I got the pad, my shoulder was black, blue, red, purple, green and yellow. I'm sure it kept me from getting a blood clot so they do have their purpose.

I have a titanium right shoulder joint , it is reversed in that the humorous has a cup on the end and the shoulder blade a ball . My surgeon advised me not to shoot anything over .22 so I have made a pad from a Spenco shoe liner doubled over and held inside my shooting shirt with velcro with big hooks. It works just fine off the bench or prone and I dont need it off hand.

shoulder aids are for SISSIES! stand up and shoot like a man, there were none for us when we shot the M-1 GARAND in the ARMY in 1961. jmho.
You need to show respect for people that may have medical issues, arthritis, Rotar cuff surgery and many other possibilities. I have no problem shooting a high-power weapon (mentionable or un-mentionable) and I am almost 70 years old. However, I do have many friends and acquaintances that have ceased shooting or gone to a lighter caliber. Heck, a friend of mine's great-great aunt shot a rabbit in her garden with a 12-gauge shotgun that fractured her collarbone. While she was still in the ER she asked him to trade that shotgun for a 410.

I shoot my 45/70 with hot loads all the time and don't need one, but once I had a 338 Win Mag. On sighting it in, that thing kicked the dog snot outta me. Of course I ran about two boxes of ammo through it before I decided to try something else. I bought a Paast recoil magnum pad and it sure helped. Only thing is it really kinda got in the way when shouldering the gun in a standing position. Worked great for slow benchrest shots. Never did get that gun sighted in. Found out later that Ruger (it was an M77) had a batch of bad barrels that all ended up with wandering zeros. Till I got the pad, my shoulder was black, blue, red, purple, green and yellow. I'm sure it kept me from getting a blood clot so they do have their purpose.
Ruger thought they could foresake stress relieving 🤦

Many thanks to all you guys! Deep, deep pool of knowledge and experience here. I will use my recoil reduction pad with my Pedersoli Kentucky, I love her curved buttstock, her backside just don’t love me back.
I have no pride, and like Snake said: no prize for pain. My shooing pad is relatively comfortable to wear, and works surprisingly well! I admit it looks a little dorky, but like I said, no pride 😄

I knew a guy that owned a .458 magnum rifle. Did he plan on going to Africa or hunt large bear , NOPE, He just thought it was cool. He got all insulted when he asked me to try it and I declined. I said, I do not have to hit my hand with a hammer to know its going to hurt! Nope, I do not shoot rifles that kill on both ends.

I haven’t tried it yet, still waiting for the bruising to clear up. It feels good in place, and it might ease that bracing I do for the kick that ain’t helping my groups
I have one of the pads. They work. I would not use it hunting because it changes the lop etc but then , I only usually ever fire but 1 shot hunting, so I ma not concerned about the recoil and I use more manageable rounds, like .270, .308, 7x57. No magnums etc for me.

Latest posts

Back