• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any of you guys ever use one of these?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing how much "older" hardware was still in use. Old "grease guns" were also popular. Thompson's were around but were very heavy! I worked with an AZAC group that still had some Sterling's and Owens!!
Talk about older stuff, how about STG44s still in use by African and Middle Eastern terrorist groups? Even some VC had these thanks to all the German captured weapons the Russians had.

I don't need one for my 20 Ga. smoothbore Fusil Fin C, or my .54 GPR. I do own a pad like this I've needed for a Tower pheasant hunt where I go through a couple of boxes of 12 Ga. high brass shells for my 6.5 lb Ruger Gold Label SxS with a hard shotgun butt pad. Also handy when sighting in my Marlin .450 with an 18" barrel. Just for reference, I'm 77 yrs. at 6'3", 240 lbs.

I don't consider myself recoil sensitive, but I'd like to keep my investment in crowns on my teeth in tact.

This subject is relative to every individual.
Of course it is and there is no wrong answers or opinions.
But considering the discussion originated around a traditional muzzleloader with an assumed curved butt plate there is indeed a wrong way to shoulder it.
Discussing or comparing it with any other design of butt plate is irrelevant.

This subject is relative to every individual.
Of course it is and there is no wrong answers or opinions.
But considering the discussion originated around a traditional muzzleloader with an assumed curved butt plate there is indeed a wrong way to shoulder it.
Discussing or comparing it with any other design of butt plate is irrelevant.
Recoil is Recoil, Pain is Pain, I fail to see the difference. There is no such thing as "traditional " pain, its just pain. IMHO

Recoil is Recoil, Pain is Pain, I fail to see the difference. There is no such thing as "traditional " pain, its just pain. IMHO
Yes, but how to mitigate it can be different for different shaped buttplates. A deeply curved buttplate needs a whole lot of padding if held incorrectly against the shoulder, not so much if held correctly.

Sure.
However that is not my point.
My point is that shouldering a curved butt plate rifle incorrectly will produce pain to even the healthiest individual.
Anyone suffering from a condition that causes pain when shooting has to compromise and that is fine.

Bench and prone kick me the most. For sighting-in, the Lead Sled is a real help. Still use my P.A.S.T. hunting vest - probably 40 years old, still good. One thing I learned teaching combat shotgun is those who don't hold tightly to the shoulder get bruises and some never learned.
Matches my experience. Pull the gun into you and recoil will be a push rather than a jolt.

Yes, but how to mitigate it can be different for different shaped buttplates. A deeply curved buttplate needs a whole lot of padding if held incorrectly against the shoulder, not so much if held correctly.
Yes , I agree there is a technique, especially for Hawken type butt plates, but as age take over it doesn't matter. heavy loads, poor design and technique take a toll. I love Hawken's, but the butt plate is a total failure as far as I am concerned. It could of had a more gentle sloping butt like a 92 Winchester as an example, or a Lancaster style, Haines style, and been much more user friendly IMHO

Firing a rifle with a curved butt plate from the deltoid/bicep pocket reduces the recoil. I've fired 40 rounds from my .62 caliber Hawken this way with no discomfort at all. Never had a recoil issue with any muzzleloader. A friend let me fire a few shots from his .460 Weatherby a long time ago. Never again. Didn't detach my retinas, but it detached me from reality every time I fired it.

Sure.
My point is that shouldering a curved butt plate rifle incorrectly will produce pain to even the healthiest individual.
Anyone suffering from a condition that causes pain when shooting has to compromise and that is fine.
Why won't they listen Brit?

Sure.
I agree, but the butt plate design is abysmal as far as I am concerned.

Firing a rifle with a curved butt plate from the deltoid/bicep pocket reduces the recoil. I've fired 40 rounds from my .62 caliber Hawken this way with no discomfort at all. Never had a recoil issue with any muzzleloader. A friend let me fire a few shots from his .460 Weatherby a long time ago. Never again. Didn't detach my retinas, but it detached me from reality every time I fired it.
There are many firearms/calibers that "kill" on both ends! IMHO

if I was in the same shape as I was in 1961 I might agree with you, but I have learned from years of shooting that you get NO Gold Stars for recoil. Only a fool thinks getting pounded shot after shot, is meaningful IMHO. When i went into OCS we were using M-14's, big heavy, and liked to kick, not a lot of ammo. When we were given our first M16's, I thought, someone finally caught on! I "acquired" a CAR15 style ,and loved it. Light, easy to handle, worked fine and I could carry more ammo then three guys with m14's. Then I picked up a Swedish K while I was overseas and carried that until I rotated out. Never felt under gunned.
Carried 30 magazines for the CAR15. Each one with 16 rounds of ball on top of two tracers.

Back