• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any ideas on this rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNHillbilly

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Bought this years ago at an estate auction in NW Georgia. Half stock, was german silver, or plated furniture. About .40 cal, rode hard, put up wet! Lock appears to be stamped 'G. Goutcher', rolled or stamped 'engraving'. Curious if anyone has an idea as to age or origin?
hrifle3.jpg

hrifle1.jpg

hrifle2.jpg

Are you sure it's not Goulcher rather than "Goutcher"? If it is the former Google it and you will get some results.

1860's-1870's Back action lock plains rifle. Goulcher manufactured thousands of locks for many rifle makers.

Any markings anywhere on the barrel??

Can you post a full rifle pic?

Looks like a hook breech... most likely the markings are on the underside of the barrel, near the breech.

Remnants of engraving on left diagonal flat near the breech. So worn it's hard to make out- I thought it might be 'I.-or J. *. Wright'......but could be an H instead of W.-the legs of the letter too parallel for a W. Professional looking engraving though! No other markings that I can find. It had an old ill fitting musket hammer stuck on it. I replaced the hammer. Seems like old guns come in two varieties: museum quality or 'plum wore out'! Still, it's a neat old piece.
goulcher3.jpg

Goulcher2.jpg

Goulcher1.jpg

Looks like it says something like "at Philadelphia" after the "Wright"

Goulcher bought parts and put them together in Philadelphia. The lock is almost certainly English.

Back