• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antonio Zoli Zouave questions.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruiserman_80

32 Cal
Reaction score
I had a couple of questions for the Zoli Zouave experts (if that's a thing). I have just picked up a second hand Antonio Zoli Zouave .58BP as my first black powder rifle and want to know a bit more about it.

Are there any known issues or faults I should look out for?
Are there any online resources where I can find out more about the gun (the Zoli website was no help)
Is it possible to date the gun from the serial number/markings?
What size/pitch is the thread on the non-ram end of the included ramrod? ( Id like to buy an adaptor so I can use it with my 10/32 accessories)

Thanks in advance.

I had a couple of questions for the Zoli Zouave experts (if that's a thing). I have just picked up a second hand Antonio Zoli Zouave .58BP as my first black powder rifle and want to know a bit more about it.

Are there any online resources where I can find out more about the gun (the Zoli website was no help)
What size/pitch is the thread on the non-ram end of the included ramrod? ( Id like to buy an adaptor so I can use it with my 10/32 accessories)

Thanks in advance.
Post many pictures of markings and rifle

Thanks in advance.
I have one of these rifles.
I bought it use not long ago.
I really don’t know much more than you do at this point.
My rifle was modified by the previous owner.
The hammer would catch on the hall cock notch when firing unless you”slapped” the trigger as apposed to “squeezing” the trigger.
I took the lock apart and stoned the sear angle to create more trigger engagement.
My rifle was owned my a living history or re enacting enthusiast.
There is a chip out of the stock near the lock that I will repair at sometime.
I have the original metal ram rod but I have no idea what the thread pitch is.
I use a stainless steel range rod with a brass muzzle protector that is treaded for standard bore mops and bore brushes.
I much prefer using this over using the metal ramrod.
I examined the bore of this rifle with an inexpensive Endo camera.
The bore is clean and shiny.
Rifling is sharp and clean.
There is some minor rust in the breech end but not too bad.
My rifle is pretty accurate as muzzle loaders go shooting pure lead cast RCBS new model Minie bullets.

Post many pictures of markings and rifle
I hope this helps. No idea of the age or how many hands it has passed through, but it has not been well-loved.
It hadn't been cleaned when it reached me and what you see is after I have scrubbed off the worst of the surface rust. There is also a crack in the stock I will have to repair and the rear site leaves are loose as is the entire rear sight assembly.

However, it was a reasonable price and I think a good first black powder gun.
20210719_113507.jpg
20210719_112719.jpg
20210719_112654.jpg
20210719_112541.jpg
20210719_112607.jpg

20210718_164708.jpg

AP, 1986.
Mine is a 1975 Remington Ranson. Three groove. Measure the bore. Found mine to be a bit under.
60 gns recommended military load. Mini works good in mine at 65 gns.
Bought a nipple at Track of the Wolf to use #11 caps. Get 2 and thin one for #10s to have options.
The ram rod to me is pretty much more for mini ball. Ramming a tight patched ball not so much. Range rod good idea.

I have a Zoli Zouave and they are a great BP rifled musket. Good bang for the buck, pun intended.

The bore size varies and when shooting Minies, slugging the bore and determining which mold is the right size is important for greatest accuracy.

I have found in mine, the Lee traditional pattern .578 diameter ( a little larger than the norm) at 478 grains shoots best.

They also will shoot .570 round balls well, given a patch of appropriate thickness.

Great on the range, or out hunting.

If you want date info look for a box with 2 letters or a letter and a number. Then go to General Muzzleloading, Tables,useful information thread links, then the 18th topic down the list, "modern replica dating by Proof Marks". I'm sorry I don't know how to link it.

Also, my Zoli’s bore measures .581”, so I size my Minies to .579” and it shoots great- I got a rough measurement of the bore with my calipers and the bought a series of pin gauges in that range to determine the size.

These used to be little hidden secrets of the muzzleloading world lol you could find like 3 Zoli Zouaves at gun shows for $200. I had wanted to get the Zouave to go with my Buffalo Hunter but now people want $600 for them

Your stock looks fine. That crack is Where the lock mortise machining has poked through. I've seen a lot worse but do seal the wood! If you use the wrong oil on it you will rot the wood!
Sometimes they can suffer with a soft mainspring but a rehardening, polish and drawn back should fix that.

Thanks in advance.
I have a tap I use to thread 'ends' for the 10/32. Most Italian BP guns have a two letter date coding on them; the chart was on this site and other sites to print out and save. I've had 3 of them, and not all are the same quality as far as the wood goes. Apparently, many of the small parts were made in small shops around the gun making valleys in Italy, and guns were put together from parts, so to speak. The one I have now was solid and tight (used, from auction) and is a keeper. There are no doubt many guys on this site that have much more experience with them than I. The N-NSA guys are really expert about the particulars, I'm sure you'll see many helpful responses. Google Italian Mfg. Date Codes, it'll pop up.

Thanks in advance.
Mine was purchased used, about 35 or 40 years ago. The only issues I have had: The front sight had to be modified, for windage and raised to get on target. The trigger pull was way too stout, so had to fix that. There was nothing wrong with the rear sight, but I like a slot versus a V. I changed that. Overall, I am very happy with my Zoli.

I bought mine about 3 years ago- it was in a rack at a local gun store/range for $300- I inquired about it, and the sales clerk said “Make me an offer”. So $175.00 later, it was mine. Glad I didn’t pay too much- the barrel was fubar from the crown and down the bore about 3/16”. Like someone had taken a chisel to the bore- shame on me for not looking- I would surely have passed on it. But a quick trip to Ed Rayl’s and he got me squared away- it is a tack driver now.

The AB in a square shows that it was made in 1976.

I found that my Zouave, bought in 1969, front sight needed to be raised and measures 1.27" from the bottom of the barrel and 0.370" tall from the top of the barrel.

The RCBS 580 Hodgdon bullet mould is the best bullet for my Zouave. I use 42.5 gr of 3F Swiss black powder and resize the bullet to 0.578"

Some Zouaves will take that bullet with no resizing needed.

Last edited:
Most have the short front sight which is what you got if'n my eyes r not lying. So expect it to shoot more than a foot high at 50 yards. The other taller sight is available cheap and that way you don't have to aim at your toes!

Thanks. That might explain why it came with what the seller described as a sniper site that clamps on the end of the barrel. It also has a triple folding leaf at the rear which should help.
MOIqCpk.png

Had to square off the muzzle on mine first & crown it then replaced the front sight to lower the POI as was high and left from memory. Hand filed a dove tail in the barrel for the front sight. Filed down the back sight and opened the V to a U with a chainsaw file. Polished the lock. It shoots well with Wheel weight .562 balls , Ticking patch and 80gr homemade powder. Also changed the Nipple as the 2 (one #11) & (one Musket) that came with the rifle had too large a flash holes and the gun would throw the hammer back to reset with anything over about 60gr of powder.
The one good thing about traditional guns is you usually have something that needs tinkering with.

Latest posts

Back