• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antique repair and appraisal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanger

40 Cal
Reaction score
Where would one go or call to get a firearm appraisal and possibly a close date and area where it came from? It needs minor stock repair but could be shot as is. Bought it to hunt with but would probably be better off with a newer kibler. Also any particular places that would be willing to buy old rifles.
Thanks

Some auction houses have firearms appraisers they either employ or work with.

I have gotten a couple estimates but there was a large margin on price difference. Would like to find a more definitive answer and sell for half price to have both parties happy.

Suggest you post details here on what you have and post clear close up pictures.

Some of the knowledgeable members here can give you free accurate information.

Have seen repeated examples of appraisers who do not have knowledge on some firearms provide inaccurate appraisals and then act as if they really know the subject matter.

Thanks, Will try and contacting them. Here are a couple pictures.
IMG_3965.jpeg
IMG_3966.jpeg
IMG_3967.jpeg
IMG_3968.jpeg
IMG_3971.jpeg
IMG_3972.jpeg
IMG_3973.jpeg
IMG_3974.jpeg
IMG_3975.jpeg

Thanks, Will try and contacting them. Here are a couple pictures.
View attachment 244836View attachment 244837View attachment 244838View attachment 244839
Contact David Stavlo @ Lodgewood. They sell on consignment (15%), buy out right & do repairs and everything.
I have gotten a couple estimates but there was a large margin on price difference. Would like to find a more definitive answer and sell for half price to have both parties happy.
Well the rifle is a positive gem evidently of the finest quality for a very wealthy patron aside of the odd ding it is quite sound by the look it I 'de call it' an important piece ' light years from any Kibler kit rifle good as I'me sure they are . I would run your excellent photoes buy Christies , Sotheby's , or any major auction house for their view ignore local outfits this is a top end item. Any Provenance ? might be WW2 loot but at least its exists no tank run over it and from some serious Sloss or major collection . Hope that makes your day , Your pics made mine . Regards Rudyard

I hope Mike Brooks chimes in on this one. My knowledge is less in this area but I’d say it’s pre 1750 with a Spanish barrel (considered the best of the timeframe) and for the right collector, could be worth $4000-$6000. Just putting a number out there to stimulate discussion of worth.

Thanks Rich, that’s in the ball park on one of the estimates I got. I will reach out to some auction houses and try to pick their brain for a definitive price range. I would love to hunt with it but would like it to be back in pristine shape before then. I will have to contact lodgewood and see what repairs would cost.

Nobody can give you a true and accurate appraisal on-line. There are just too many factors that come into play.

It needs to be physically examined by a reputable and experienced appraiser. When you say that you would like it to be in pristine shape, remember that in dealing with an artifact firearm, there is a difference between preservation, conservation, and restoration.

I hope Mike Brooks chimes in on this one. My knowledge is less in this area but I’d say it’s pre 1750 with a Spanish barrel (considered the best of the timeframe) and for the right collector, could be worth $4000-$6000. Just putting a number out there to stimulate discussion of worth.
Though that style of breach marks is generally Spanish but they where more likley to be smooth bored & have religious motives , other European makers followed the Spanish style . I seem to think there is a Dynastic link between Austria & Spain . Rudyard

Latest posts

Back