• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Seneca

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtrubicon

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Evening, I found another Seneca today. This is the second in 2 months. It’s aesthetically good, no cracks in the stock. There is some rust visible in the bore and also the cap area. It’s very similar to a rifle I passed on 2 months ago. It’s a 45cal, they want $550 for the rifle. Am I being to critical to pass on a rifle with a little rust? I’m a shooter, not a collector. I recently purchased an investarms bridger Hawken in 45 that I’m having a ball with. It is very accurate. I passed on the first Seneca because of the light rust And bought the Bridger. I’m going back and forth on this, the triggers are crisp. How would this gun shoot? What else should I be looking for? My guess is it was shot a couple times, put in a safe and forgotten. Whats your opinion?

They are not going to get any cheaper and that's a fact. I have one I bought from new for $125, (yrs ago, early 80s) cap-lock .36 cal, shoots very well. The rust issue is one thing you will have to decide on. I have seen some rusted and pitted bores shoot well and others not so well, I have a 1851 Italian repro. Navy revolver, brass framed that I bought for a parts gun., the barrel looked atrocious. Decided to see how well it would shoot and it shot nearly as well as a brand new one, decided to just restore and shoot it. Still shooting to this day. It would be nice if you could try it out, but these things do not present themselves too often for buyers. A look with a bore scope might help you decide. If you have a continuous flow of lands thru the length of the rifling, and not corroded away, it may shoot very well. Good luck with your decision.

Either inspect with a bore scope or a tight fitting lubed patch on a range rod. If pitting is heavy I would not pay $550. Ask If you can clean it up for them to make it more appealing to customers they may take you up on it. I recently picked up a 50 cal New Englander that had some light rust in barrel and on outside that cleaned up beautifully.

Passing on any Seneca for some minor rusting would be a mistake, IMHO. The opportunity to find another is a random event. The rust would be an opening for price negotiations.

I wouldn't pass on it due to a bit of rust, I'd pass on it due to too high a price. People continuing to overpay is what's jacking prices. Nobody has the patience anymore to wait for the seller to come to a more reasonable offer.

Minor rust is not a issue for a shooter Seneca. And I try to buy any that I find[ They are rare around here]. But I will not pay Mint Price for a average condition gun.

You folks are 100% about being over priced and having flaws of nicks and rust but people continue to pay these prices. A few months back while at the range, I had a few of my cap-lock, rifles and revolvers, out for a little range time. A fellow shooter approached me and after some small talk, wanted to know if I wanted to sell any. I kindly said no, that they and I have been around for a while and I kind of like them, to say the least. For that Seneca and one of my 51 Navy repro. he offered me $800 cash on the spot, and that he had been looking for these for a long time. The man actually got sort of irate that I would not sell. My belief is they are not going to get any cheaper anytime in the near future, if ever. Right now anything gun related is ridiculous on pricing, and many, many people are paying these prices, I see it every day. I am sort of a tight wad, and some day I will probably have to bend for these prices also. If I live long enough to dwindle my supplies down😟

The last two Senecas I Purchased were both in immaculate condition I paid 650.00 for a 36 and 1000.00 for a mint 32 Seneca. I shoot these guns often and feel that both were well worth the money. The 32s are very hard to find and I much prefer shooting the Seneca over my Cherokees even though they are all very accurate. If You can determine that the rust is not too bad its worth $550.00 in my opinion but if it is severe I would steer clear of it.

Wow, I agree with everyones response! I was just trying to justify spending that amount for a rifle with some rust. I am new to muzzleloaders, not firearm. I guess I haven’t learned to appreciate the Seneca mystique, I really like how light the rifle is, on the other side I spent less for a brand new investarms bridger Hawken in 45 cal with no rust that shoots lights out accurate! Thank you for your responses all.

Nice clean Senecas have been selling for $600 or more in 36 cal for several years now. I bought one of those and it is a jewel. I also bought a pretty rough one for $275 and had to replace the barrel and ramrod thimbles, etc. Both are good shooters and fun for teaching new shooters about black powder. Hard to find good reliable light ML's these days. My grandkids love 'em.

Back