• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Norwegian rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cato

32 Cal.
Reaction score
5ph1yv.jpg

This i a real old and shootable rifle that i use now and then,it is my neighbour who owns it.it has been in his family for very many years.The rifle hasnt been shot as long as my neighbour knows.I just cleaned it and made up a few missing parts.Yesterday i tried to shoot it and it worked very well.I just fired 5 shots with it at 25 metres.
2agkd4i.jpg

Cato, thank you for sharing the rifle. It's always nice to see an old timer made usable again! Emery

Cato,
You Bet! Nice job of breathing life back into this gun. If it could talk.........

James Taylor

Neat gun Cato. I'm really interested in the rear sight on that sucker. I tried to blow up the picture but could only go so far. Could you post a close-up picture of the sight?

5ph1yv.jpg

Semisane said:
Neat gun Cato. I'm really interested in the rear sight on that sucker. I tried to blow up the picture but could only go so far. Could you post a close-up picture of the sight?

flfqlz.jpg
[/img] 5ph1yv.jpg[/img]
I Dug up some more information on this rifle.It was made By gunmaker Per Pedesen Kokking who lived from 1769 to 1848 The caliber is around .50.Here is a better picture of the rear sight.Anyone who has an idea of what kind uf bulletlube i should use?The bullet has a little hollow in the base
es3y1h.jpg

There's a variety of bullet lubes,
natural and commercial.
Without trying to get too technical
or provide you with complicated recipes,
some folks simply fill the grooves with
Crisco, which is vegetable shortening.
That is, it's made mostly from oils that
are solidified for storage purposes, and it
can be melted for cooking/frying.

shortening-all_vegetable-453-ss.jpg

This can also be melted and blended with
about 50% bees wax to create a better lube
with a thicker consistency.
Most folks just use a commercial BP patch
lube like TC Bore Butter or its equivalent,
Traditions Wonderlube. These come in a tube
and are soft. They're mostly made of mineral
oil and a micronized paraffin wax.
Basically any vegetable oil can be mixed
with bees wax to make a bullet lube. Just
avoid using petroleum products as a lube
which will react with BP to form a tar which
will foul the bore.

Interesting rifle and sight. Any idea what the dark stain on the stock is from? I've seen similar coloration to birch stocks from the Finnish WWII era arsenals. Some say it's a chemical color, but I believe it to be pine tar based wood finish. Either way your stock reminds me of it.

I don`t think it`s tar.Tar got a very special smell even after many years.I think it must be some kind of varnish,maybe something mixed with linseed oil?

Back