• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Match Powder Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am interested in user opinions of the new Old Eynsford product from Goex. OE had some early discussions from people who tried it when it first became available, but I am curious as to current opinions now that it has been on the market for a few months and people have more experience with it. It is supposed to be manufactured with a higher degree of consistency than regular Goex to appeal to target shooters. The price difference compared to Goex is so small that it seems worth considering. I'm getting ready to put in an order for probably 25 lbs of BP and am trying to decide between regular Goex and OE. Some will probably recommend that I should just buy Swiss, but I am not a championship level shooter by any means and would not want to pay the significantly higher price.

What caliber will you use it in? I have shot all three grades, 3F, 2F and 1 1/2F in my .54 and .58 rifles and I like 2F but 1 1/2 for accuracy. OE fouls the bore less than Goex, and mostly near the breech, but in the rest of the bore the fouling seems softer. Either powder is very good, mix them up in your case, some of each, Goex and OE. Then compare them and let us know.

Black Jack said:
I am interested in user opinions of the new Old Eynsford product from Goex.
Searching the accessories forum for "Eynsford" returned 214 hits. Just sayin' :wink:

This is a comment on another forum where I posed this same set of questions:

"A lot of folks shoot Swiss, many in the bpcr world shot Goex Express, and won national titles and set world records with it. KIK has a small following.
Goex's Olde Eynsford powder is slowly gaining some attention, and the folks that have spent the time to give it an honest test are liking it much better than Swiss, it's faster when used by equal weight, it's cleaner, shoots just as accurate , and you can almost get two cases of it for what 1 Swiss costs.
I shot quite a bit of Swiss looking for the "good loads" never came up with anything that justified the additional cost or dealing with the harder fouling."

I've done some comparison testing between swiss 2F and OE 2F. when compared with equal volumes, the swiss runs about 100fps faster. the swiss weighs about 8grns heavier than OE, once the weights were equal in my testing I found the swiss and OE velocities were pretty much the same.

I do believe the OE MAY be SLIGHTLY cleaner than swiss but it's just an opinion at this point I have not done any "scientific" comparison in fouling generation.

personally, in my LRML match rifle I did not find anything that made me want to switch from swiss to OE. But, I will admit that I do like OE in all of my muzzleloading shotguns, it seems to shoot just as well as the swiss 2F and since it's a bit cheaper should be easier on the wallet. assuming of course that the pheasants die equally well, but i'll discover that in about 3 weeks.

your mileage may vary.

Have done searches, but there is not much regarding opinions on overall quality that is recent. There are some interesting posts regarding velocities obtained vs. Swiss. I'm primarily a target shooter and, as I said in my post, I'd like to hear about more current results obtained by users now that it's been around for a while. Frankly, I'm surprised that there has not been more discussion about it as I would have thought more people would give it a try.

A lot of folks that got burned when Goex dropped Express are a bit leary about jumping onto the Eynsford band wagon.
There are a few of us that shoot bpcr that have dove into the stuff and it is working very well and we're getting good groups in load testing. At the national championship in Raton a couple weeks back I had one really good target in the midrange where I fired a 97-2x at 200 with paper patch loads using 2f OE. Another fella recently finished in 6th place at the bptr match at Lodi Ws, had a dismal 1st day due to health problems came back in a flurry on day 2 and finished second for the day.
Most of us that have shot it much have found it to be very uniform in velocity, and leaves a very clean foul. I have some paper patch loads in the cartridge guns that can go 50 rounds , no loss in accuracy and no fouling control other than the occasional blowtube.
Mike Nesbitt has been telling me about some of the good results he's getting with the stuff in both muzzleloaders and cartridge guns.
I expect next year we'll see more folks shooting the Eynsford and liking it , and placing well in competition.

rodwha said:
the folks that have spent the time to give it an honest test are liking it much better than Swiss
I haven't seen any credible reports.
All have seen are blanket cursory reports from folks that give just about every powder they try the same test and results report.

Not sayin the stuff is bad at all nor that the tests seen are all bad, just that the stuff hasn't really had enough time on the market to prove itself for those of us that are looking for more results than,
"I tried these two pounds, in these four guns and the stuff is fantastic!!"

I can't say I'll be trying it soon, I still have over a half case of powder to use before I need any, If I find a pound some place I'll give it awhirl, but it takes more than that to prove it.

It was good advice to the OP to split his case,, get some of each.

If its cleaner than Swiss and as fast I would love to see a chemical analysis to see if "something new has been added".
Like one of the additives used in T-7 to improve its velocity.
Dan

Made a walk of the Texas Muzzle Loading Rifle Ass. shoot today in Brady, TX, the only powder on the line is the standard Goex.

Must be a reason when the top line shooters use it over other choices.

Dan Phariss said:
If its cleaner than Swiss and as fast I would love to see a chemical analysis to see if "something new has been added".
Like one of the additives used in T-7 to improve its velocity.
Dan
Why is that Dan? None of that nonsense was around when they introduced Swiss :nono: . Goex is supposedly using something similar to the Express recipe, only they are using the same screen sizes as Swiss, so now it's actually possible to compare apples to apples...
Just for kicks and grins you might want to actually try some of the Eynsford, then weigh in on it. :v

Most serious shooters buy their powder by the case.
In our part of the country there is no powder available locally, so places like Grafs,Powder Inc. and others that ship powder get a lot of business.

Being reasonably priced I will try it but If I really wanted to win in matches I would shoot Swiss while I tested the new arrival.

Geo. T.

Ranch 13 said:
In our part of the country there is no powder available locally, so places like Grafs,Powder Inc. and others that ship powder get a lot of business.

That used to be the way it was done. But with availability and costs so different than the days I spent much of my time hunting Xs I didn't want to make that presumption. Currently, I am acquainted with only one shooter who can afford to buy himself a case of powder at a time. FWIW, he is not married. :shocked2: :wink:

Most of the shooters I know go thru at least 1 case a year, some as much as 4 cases. They are all married, and part of that powder expense is feeding the spouse's guns.
I suppose it just depends on how much a person decides to shoot either in match, or just shooting at home/plinking etc.
My wife and I might go thru a 100 rounds or more on a Sunday afternoon just for entertainment. Doesn't take long to burn a case of powder at that rate.

Rifleman1776 said:
Ranch 13 said:

That used to be the way it was done. But with availability and costs so different than the days I spent much of my time hunting Xs I didn't want to make that presumption. Currently, I am acquainted with only one shooter who can afford to buy himself a case of powder at a time. FWIW, he is not married. :shocked2: :wink:

You know two Frank and I'm married :grin:

Latest posts

Back