• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another 56 TC Smoothbore Thread

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corjack

32 Cal
Reaction score
Met a fellow this morning, and bought a Renegade smoothbore barrel. I have to sort out a missing under rib, but I will get that figured out. Bore is pretty smooth looking. Outside of barrel has a well used patina to it. Looks like someone tried removing the breach plug with a wrench and marred it a bit, but it does not look too objectionable for a shooter. Took a patch of pillow ticking and a .530 ball starts with a good bit of force with my thumb. I will probably try some .535s through it first. Hopefully they will be tight enough. I noticed TOW has some .542 cast. Will try them if I am not satisfied with the .535s. Pretty happy to have this. Looking forward to figuring out some shot loads in the future.

Just shot mine for the second time. 535 and a .020 patch. Nice. I can even reuse the patches and have just to see. Bunch of fun to shoot for sure. 75 gr 3f goex. Remember that bp maker from years ago?

My T/C .56 likes a .550 ball, .\,015 mink oil lubed patch and 80 grains of 2f for 2-3" groups at 50 yards. I coned the muzzle to start the balls easier.

I had a brand new 56 SB barrel and had Bobby Hoyt punch it to 20g. Last week I ordered some #5 copper plated shot and all the cards I need. I've never shot a BP smoothbore but going to try and kill a turkey this spring with it. Load development as soon as it warms up a bit.

i use 62gr 3f,2 overpowder cards, 28ga shotcup with piston cut off,1.25oz #6 cushion wad soaked in olive oil, 35yd turkey dead. postal flat rate box punch very good over powder wads. same powder n wads, .550 ball .015 patch, mutton tallow,bees wax. 4" group 50yd

I had some time today, and scrubbed the barrel out. You can actually see very faint rifling marks. It evidently was a rifled barrel that Thompson reamed smooth. It is clearly marked renegade sb.

i use 62gr 3f,2 overpowder cards, 28ga shotcup with piston cut off,1.25oz #6 cushion wad soaked in olive oil, 35yd turkey dead. postal flat rate box punch very good over powder wads. same powder n wads, .550 ball .015 patch, mutton tallow,bees wax. 4" group 50yd
Is that oil soaked wad on top AKA Skychief load?

Met a fellow this morning, and bought a Renegade smoothbore barrel. I have to sort out a missing under rib, but I will get that figured out. Bore is pretty smooth looking. Outside of barrel has a well used patina to it. Looks like someone tried removing the breach plug with a wrench and marred it a bit, but it does not look too objectionable for a shooter. Took a patch of pillow ticking and a .530 ball starts with a good bit of force with my thumb. I will probably try some .535s through it first. Hopefully they will be tight enough. I noticed TOW has some .542 cast. Will try them if I am not satisfied with the .535s. Pretty happy to have this. Looking forward to figuring out some shot loads in the future.
You lucky dog.

50 grains of ffg and the same measure of 6 shot…really puts a solid thumping on rabbits.

The barrel was missing an under lug. Ordered one day after I bought barrel. USPS finally delivered it today. I guess they thought it proper to do so by wagon train since it was a muzzleloader part. All I had were .530 balls. Used pillow ticking and lubed with olive oil. Remarkably snug considering the undersized balls. Shot it over a dozen times, never cleaned or wiped. After about two shots seating pressure was pretty consistent. All shots at 55 yards with a makeshift rest. A shooting bag over a fence rail at 55 yards. Every shot would have hit a deer soundly except one that went high. Thinking I failed to get it fully seated on the powder charge that shot, as I took more care after the flyer and it never happened again. 70 grains of some old elephant 2f powder a fellow gave me. Made in 1994, someplace in Texas. The target was a three inch orange dot. I will order a box of .535 balls next order, and give them a try. Wads are supposed to be here tomorrow, and I will try some shot.
6C3B8B5F-D3FD-4512-B39A-CD0662AF4675.jpeg
6C3B8B5F-D3FD-4512-B39A-CD0662AF4675.jpeg

Got some 1/8 felt bore buttons in today. From Maine shooters supply. Tried two over 50 grains of 2f, then a 50 grain measure of #5 shot, cause it was what I had. One felt wad on top. 20 yard pattern not great. Then tried same combo with 60 of powder and shot. Again, not great. Then I cut open a shot shell, loaded 60/60 of 7.5s, but put three pads on top of powder. Got a food squirrel killing pattern at 20 yards, and probably would have worked at 25. Then did the same thing with the 5s . Got a pretty good pattern as well. Ordered some proper over shot cards today fro TOW, and some buffer wads. I am seeing a bit of a thinner pattern in the center, and think the overshot felt wad is too thick and heavy. Bottom line is it seems like it will work real decent with a bit more tweaking. I am going to get some 28 gauge plastic wads and try those as well.

then I shot about six roundballs through it. i had gave it a good scrubbing when I got it, but today I noticed the balls seated much smoother than yesterday. Must have been something in the barrel that shooting and cleaning has loosened up. tried a few shots with felt pads and a few without. Still shot about as good as yesterday. I also ordered a box of .535 balls today. I am thinking they might slide down real nice now it seems to be loosening up.
overall I am having a great time shooting it.

I had a 20" .56 SB barrel. I sent it to Bobby Hoyt to be rifled. He rifled it in 1:60. I haven't shot it yet. It was very reasonable.
Nit Wit

Back