• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

And Now it is Flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.flintlock

40 Cal.
Reaction score

This is an old CVA Big Bore Mountain Rifle that I built from a kit in 1980. I have put many deer in the freezer with it and retired it in 1996 when I switched to flint ignition. For Christmas, My wife gave me the necessary parts to convert it to flint ignition. She was always a tack driver. I am looking forward to hunting with this old friend again.

I received the L&R drop in lock for CVA and my initial Idea was to screw the drum out and replace it with a touch hole liner. The drum was not slotted for a wrench like most drums. I tried to remove it with a pair of vice grip pliars but it would not budge. I ended up putting a pipe wrench on it and it broke off just a few thousands below the flat of the barrel. I drilled and tapped it for a .250 X 28 touch hole liner, which I then installed as well as the L&R lock. It shoots great. I only had to remove a small bit of wood at the rear point of the lock plate and a few shavings to allow for the fence aft of the pan. If I had known that the drum was going to break off, I would have sawn it off and dreaase it off flush with a file flush with the barrel flat.

Sure like your stock is it 54 or 58 cal.I have a 50 cal mountain with plain wood stock.Good job on conversion.

It is a .54. I lucked up getting the curly maple stock. I wondered if they upgraded the stock since it did not come with a patch box.

Excellent adventure!
Love tweaking factory guns to make them yours..good job! :thumbsup:
Did the same to a capper new englander smooth bore..

excess650 said:
Excellent! I've considered doing the same to my 1st year .50 kit gun.

go for it....no time like the present..we ain't getting younger...how many is too many? :haha:

This was not a difficult conversion. On the drum issue, I would advise you to hacksaw the drum a few thousands above the barrel flat and file it on down flush with the barrel flat then drill and tap for a 1/4 X 28 touch hole liner. The lock mortise should only need very little work for the lock to drop into place. The sear arm will need a little stock removal at the bottom to match up with the triggers and you will be all set.

I was able to get the drum out of mine. It was a 45 Kentucky but it did have the slots for a wrench. I kind of buggered up the drum a little but no matter, not putting it back anyway.

This is my fifth conversion. I have never had a problem removing a drum but the Mountain Rifle was made in such a way that it was not to be removed. I am just happy that it broke of the way it did. I wonder if it had a left hand thread.

I bought an L&R RPL flintlock from Track of the Wolf a couple of years ago with the same idea to convert my 54 cal mountain rifle over to flint.

Before I got to the project, a fellow talked me out of the rifle and only wanted it as a percussion. :doh:

Who knows! Maybe someday I'll run across another CVA looking for a good home.

Yes, by all means, hold on to that lock. It will fit a variety of CVA and Traditions sidelock rifles. Some of these old CVA Mountain Rifles are turning up on pawn shop racks. Could be you may find one that is already flint and want to upgrade with your L&R lock.

Back