• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An unexpected problem with my 1861 Uberti

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
And an embarrassing one, too. Yesterday, shot my revolver four times. The last shot was a squib, and the gun hung up. I couldn't figure what was hanging it up, after taking it down a couple of times. It wouldn't rotate.

After cursing, I took it home, took the cones off, and unloaded the two unfired chambers. I looked down the barrel for cleaning, and found the squib had forced a ball into the forcing cone, which was the source of the hang-up.

I have no idea what caused the squib, probably under-loading one cylinder. My face was red, but I learned something, which I continue to do with this fine revolver. Do stupid things, win stupid prizes.

Look at the good side. The cylinder couldn't rotate and you didn't fire a round into an obstructed bore.

When a squib is fired one needs to take a look at what the condition of the revolver is with respect to obstructions.

Good job on solving your problem and not causing something worse. Not only that you shared with us a cautionary lesson.

Thanks

Look at the good side. The cylinder couldn't rotate and you didn't fire a round into an obstructed bore.

When a squib is fired one needs to take a look at what the condition of the revolver is with respect to obstructions.

Good job on solving your problem and not causing something worse. Not only that you shared with us a cautionary lesson.

Thanks
Yeah....what he said.

What happened is a right of passage in this hobby. It has happened with highly experienced shooters. Many years ago I heard a saying, "There are two people in the BP hobby. Those who have 'dry-balled', and those who have yet to." :rolleyes:

Squibs are hell.
Luckily I've only dry balled once in 45 years and only had one squib in modern pistol.

One serious cautionary tip.
"Avoid conversation with anybody while loading any muzzleloader."
Problems WILL arise!
Double barreled guns are a constant issue when talking and shooting, as are black powder revolvers.
Even single shot guns present problems when you are not focused.
I am the author of screw-ups, when loading and talking.
Best regards!
Fred

Back