• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alter TC Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gsjcky

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a 50 cal TC hawken rifle. I would like to shoot heavy conical bullets for elk hunting. I’m concerned about the crescent butt plate with the recoil generated with the conicals. Should I cut the stock down, making a flat butt plate, or would I be better off just trading the rifle for a renagade.?
Thx

My 54 cal TC Hawken shoots maxi's behind 80 grains of 3f with not much recoil. The 54 cal Renegade pops me harder because mine has a higher comb than the Hawken does. .

I have a 50 cal TC hawken rifle. I would like to shoot heavy conical bullets for elk hunting. I’m concerned about the crescent butt plate with the recoil generated with the conicals. Should I cut the stock down, making a flat butt plate, or would I be better off just trading the rifle for a renagade.?
Thx
Have you tried the heavy conical bullets in your gun? Have you settled on a bullet and powder charge? With the stock shouldered in that pocket between the bicep and shoulder I have no issues shooting 58 caliber (.562” dia) roundballs and 400 grain conicals (45 caliber) out of a TC Hawken as long as I don’t go crazy with the powder charge. It also helps to use the tallest practical sight setup to minimize ‘cheek slap’ if you find that an issue with your TC.

mount the gun correctly and those crescent butt plates help tame recoil .
hook that thing around your bicep and into your arm pit. brace it across your chest and shoot that Elk.
i bought some No Excuses conical and if i remember right they were 520g or some such. that recoil i felt.
went back to PRB. the elk didn't know the difference .

In truth… I have not fired my Hawken at all yet. It’s at the gunsmith getting drilled & tapped for a skinner peep sight. I’ve been working on a PRB load for a 54 cal Renagade. Not sure how the Hawken shoots yet, but will find out soon.

Given the choice between a Hawken .50 and a Renegade .54, I would take the .54 and not look back. I have both.

In truth I would prefer to take my Cherokee if she shot a .54 with the .32s recoil :)

And I agree… the 54 will be the hunting rifle. The Hawken, my back up & the range/target rifle.
Not sure of the proper technique for that he curved but plate. All of my experience has been with modern CF rifles & shotguns.

Been hunting with a TC .54 Hawkens and a TC .54 Renegade shooting MaxiBalls for 40+ years and honestly never thought about recoil. All I can say is they knock the manure out of all big game you can hunt!!! Reds

I've hunted with some 525 grain conicals in my 54 caliber New Englander and 100 grains of powder. The shotgun butt plate helps but you definitely feel it!

Why not get a .50 cal barrel for the Renegade you already have rather than part with the Hawken for a second Renegade? For that matter you can order or find a barrel with a more suitable twist rate than the TC factory barrels had for conicals.

A new barrel sounds like a good plan. Where would be a good place to start my search for a custom 50 cal barrel?

Back