• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED All the lead seems to have disappeared :(

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen lead for sale at some gun/reloading shops, also at metal salvage locations. And gun shows have some on occasion. Pricing is all over the place and any of the locations!

Makes me really happy to have my work within about 1.5 miles of the local scrap metal dealer. The old sheet lead roof flashings are pretty high purity and come in regularly...just need to remember to add a wheel weight or two to the pot to make it ever so slightly harder.

Man, I need to get back into casting....I suspect my .58cal is going to be hungry ;)

I'm pretty new to black powder, I havent cast any lead balls. I use tire weights (the old type) for vintage cartridge pistol bullets. Wil this harder lead work for muzzle loaders or is it too hard?

I'm pretty new to black powder, I havent cast any lead balls. I use tire weights (the old type) for vintage cartridge pistol bullets. Wil this harder lead work for muzzle loaders or is it too hard?

I've always been told that straight wheel weights are too hard for the different rifling of muzzleloaders. Pure lead works, but can be a little on the soft side for hunting bigger game (the whole penetration vs. expansion thing). I'm sure those who have cast a lot more than me will chime in (and I know there are tools for assessing the hardness / softness of lead), but I've had good results overall adding a small number of wheel weights to a full pot of pure lead to make it a little less soft.

Yes, it's too hard. The patch will grip a soft lead ball.
NW

my last score from the scrap yard was 80lbs of roof flashing. all that stuff needs cleaning but it's as easy as melting it down, stirring with my ladle and skimming the slag off the top. you need to stir the bottom of the pot to get the manure to float to the top.

Latest posts

Back