• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alaska Primitive weapon Hunting laws?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juggernaut

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I will be in Alaska the second week or Feb. I was wanting to know if someone knew the link to the Alaskan Wildlife and Fisheries? Or knows the Primitive weapons laws and seasons?
Thanks Juggernaut

Claude's link will do you fine, but factoring in February, I think I can simplify your reading. There's virtually nothing open on the big game side then, and as far as I know, no restriction about using a muzzleloader for small game.

The bigger problem may be finding the small game in driveable range from Anchorage, along with the weather. You have to drive quite a ways and basically know where you are going. It's been real cold, so be ready for 20 below and worse, depending on the forecast. Snowshoes or skis might be a good idea too, depending on the specific location. It's big country, and as always small game is not uniformly distributed.

Ptarmigan, grouse and snowshoe hare will probably top your list. Interstingly, you can shoot ptarmigan and grouse with rifles in most areas. If that sounds unsportsmanlike, you have never tried to connect with a bobbing head the size of a nickel. Smoothbore and shot is probably more versatile. Even so, I'm fond of my .32 and .36, as well as reduced loads in my .54 rifles.

Back