• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Aiming with Prescription Glasses

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I rendezvous more than target shoot I wanted a pair of period correct framed lenses. I had an appropriate set of frames so I had my long range prescription installed in them. Now I have both period correct frames and good shooting glasses for just $35.00. Not a bad expense for what I gained. :idunno:

Oh, I get it now, thanks. "Computer range script" as in a computer-screen distanced eyeglass prescription to see the front sight. I was reading it as in an optometrist's computer program that did something special for shooters who now need bifocals. My next eyeglasses will have to be such. :( Front sight focusing eyeglasses -- hmmm. Why not?

I find it interesting how many people will spend thousands on guns trying to seek perfection , but hesitate to spend fifty or less on glasses specificly for shooting. I found my shooting glasses also helped my ping pong playing with the church youth group as well. Now I am trying to hit one ball, not three! :idunno: :idunno:

Ohio, PLEASE do not let those glasses confuse you and get those pastimes up mixed and wardsback!!!

When I went in for cataract work Doc. says "what kind of replacement do you want" I don't know Doc. what you got? "I have----- A,B,C and D". Well Doc., all I know is, I want to be able to see the dry fly on the water and the front sight on my pistol and rifle. "I know what you need " That was 8 years ago and today I can see the dry fly and sights well with 20/20 in right eye and better in left (without glasses). And colors are much improved. Give it a try.

I have no line bi focals--asked eye doctor to keep the bi focal part as low as he can in the lense--works for me

That's the secrete to no line bifocals. Keep the progressive bifocal as low as possible. People want to buy small glasses, then try to put progressive lenses in them. It will work but, most of the time the bifocal will be too high. Ask the doctor to keep the sag low, and you'll be happier.

I shoot a Lyman Trade rifle in flintlock. I'm still working on the load and trying to sight it in but my aging eyes aren't helping. Wearing reading glasses helps some but not a lot so I ordered a peep sight.

Tried it out yesterday and it was like night and day - at 25 yards the first group of five were all touching. The sight looks a little odd on a flintlock and it's not historically correct but it sure does the job.

Once I'm getting more consistent results I'll go back to open sights, but for now I'm sold on the peep.

Jamie

I went shooting with some gentlemen here in Central Texas. The host for this shoot was using a contraption clipped to his glasses. It uses the photographic principle of depth of field. If you look through a small hole more objects appear in focus than with the normal eye. I tried it out and Voila! I could see the front and rear sights with ease. I am in the process of making one of these per his instructions. I will document the process and materials of making mine to share with y'all.

Grenadier1758 said:
Rifleman1776 said:
Jake, there is a term for that. Using one eye for near, the other for distance.
My former (now retired) opthamologist, and a good friend and avid shooter, told me in his experience a low percentage of his patients had success with that choice. It did work for some but the larger majority couldn't handle it. Yer choice but glasses are expensive to be experimenting with.

I did just that - made up a monofocal pair of shooting glasses. I've worn bifocals for many years, but lately just take off my glasses for closer-up work. Got my shooting eye focused out to work for both pistol and rifle sights - works great, & also good for meetings at work that involve table top distance notes and also across the room video or blackboard.

The term for that is monofocal. I have been using my monofocal contact lenses. I had my ophthalmologist use my right eye for near and the left for far. I found that my older contact lenses work fine for keeping the focus on the front sight. Especially good for my fowler as I shoot with both eyes open. My fight is in focus on the sight bead and my left eye is in focus on the target and it works just fine.

When older folks get their eyes surgically corrected, the doctor will make the adjustment for a monofocal vision. Bear in mind that sooner or later old eyes or presbyopia will catch up with us and we all will be wearing reading glasses.

When I had my cataract surgery, I had my left eye set up for distance and my right (shooting) eye set up so that my depth of field includes everything from my handgun's rear sight to my Pennsylvania's front sight. I still have glasses for using my computer, and for driving, but for just walking around and general activities (including shooting), I am all set.

I still have a few moments of readjustment whenever I switch from close work to outside or vica versa, but overall it was a good choice.

I had cataract surgery about 7 or 8 yrs. ago. Doc. says "what kind of replacement do you want". I said "I don't know Doc, I just want to see the front sight and my dry fly on the water". "know what you need" he said. He fixed me up. I can see both and have 20/20 rt. eye and better in left. I can see a steel fence post at 1/2 mile. Good luck with yours.

Back