• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Aiming with one or both eyes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disease in right eye and legally blind. RH shooter now adapting-slowly-to LH aimed fire.
Shotgun is a non issue. Both eyes open because in wing shooting aiming is the last thing you want to do. When you were a kid, did you squint and aim when squirting another kid with the garden hose?

Rangefogger? I'm in the same boat as you, except that my dominant eye has been stuck at 20/100 since my teen years due to an injury. Lots of good advice in this thread. Shooting with both eyes open is obviously the ideal, but everyone's eyes are different and not everyone can manage this, even with practice. For me, it depends on the sights. I can shoot both eyes open with modern sights, and even some aperture sights if the aperture is large enough and close enough to my eye, but the tight notches that are commonly found on muzzle loaders? No way in heck.

Your best bet is to probably get the glasses, but I have a trick that hasn't been mentioned that might work for you. As a young enlisted man, I was required to qualify on a variety of firearms, and some of them had iron sights that didn't play well with my vision; my dominant eye was good enough to pick up the front sight, but most targets would be lost in the blur, and because of the mismatch between my two eyes I couldn't always shoot with both eyes open. My workaround was to line up on the target with both eyes open, close my weak eye so that I could clean up the sight picture, and then fire when my sights were aligned on where I knew the target was. (Even though I couldn't technically see it anymore.) If the target was moving or the sight picture fell apart, I'd reopen my weak eye again to reaquire. It's a bit difficult to describe, but remember that your weak eye can be open or closed almost instantaneously if necessary.

This is a bit unorthodox and not something that I normally taught, except to students with severe vision problems that couldn't make anything else work. Sometimes it helped. It may or may not in your particular case, but it allowed me to hold well enough for "E"'s when I otherwise would have had problems even hitting the target at all, let alone the bull. Obviously this method is a bit slower than the others mentioned, but regular practice can reduce the time lag to an insignificant amount.

I have better vision in my non dominant left Eye than my right which has gotten worse over the years, and I shoot right handed. I’m Thinking this may be the ticket for making those 40-50 yard headshots on tree rats like I used to. I hate the though of wearing glasses so hopefully this will do the trick

If your right eye has problems it may no longer be your dominant eye. Eye dominance can change.

Also, you should be wearing shooting glasses for eye protection when you shoot, so why is it a problem if one of the lenses has a correction in it?

It is also good practice to shoot "weak handed" occasionally, to stretch the muscles in the opposite direction of "normal" and to help point out any bad habits which may have crept in.

I read an article in some gun magazine where the expert said if you didn't shoot with both eyes open you would be a total failure as a shooter. A couple of articles later another expert was shown sighting through his scope at some far off game animal with his off eye tightly shut. Don't pay too much attention to what people tell you and just do what works.
You can't reinvent the wheel! There are just to many arm chair writers that write what they read? Do what works, remember the writers are human just like you and me!

I’ve heard it referred to as parallax. It gives depth of vision when aiming. I have an astigmatism that my glasses correct, if I close one eye, it screws me up.

I shoot single eye with a rifle, and both eyes with my shotgun(s).
If the non-dominant eye is stronger than the dominant eye, as others have written it will over-power the dominant eye
A non-glasses solution for tree rat hunting..., switch to smoothbore. This is also an excuse to get another gun. ;)

LD

Back