• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

aging new cast balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ted W. Coombs

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Thought I read somewhere that a shooter should age new cast ball or bullets befor shooting in his gun.If true,how long should one age new casts and why? Thanks much for your input. Teton Ted

I've never heard anything about aging them. I've always just taken them out and shot them. Same with harder alloys for centerfires.

:v The only application that I have heard of for "aging" lead cast bullets was for hard alloy bullets, as some alloys harden slowly over a period of several days after being cast. For "soft" lead there would be no measurable effect.
Some folks tumble the fresh cast balls to remove or reduce the sprue,and obtain a more uniform surface texture. This may allow a better grip on the ball by the patch material. I can't shoot well enough to tell the difference if any. :v

I always age my cast bullets & balls until they're at least cool enough to pick up with my bare fingers! :rotf:

I have known of people that aged minie balls in pig droppings so that they could sell them as authentic civil war relics, but I can't see any need to age something that you are going to shoot.

Many Klatch

Ted,

There are several things that hard cast lead casters do-- all with the intent of making their final product as hard as possible-- many of these guys are casting bullets for hot 44mag handgun loads which will be fitted with gas checks. This line of activity can be interesting (even addicting stuff) if your into that. BUT none of these results are even desired by black powder shooters.
Sirjohn

Teton Ted: Glad you came to this board with that question. Stuff like this gets passed around by folks who " heard it from someone", and end up doing all kinds of silly things.

Cast Round Balls are made of as pure Lead as we can get. They are as soft as we can make them so that they upset in the barrel when the gun is fired, pushing the cloth patch around them into the grooves of the barrel to provide a gas seal. " Aging", " Tempering", or any other treatment of soft lead changes absolutely nothing.

Having said that, when casting ALLOY LEAD bullets, with antimony and tin added, usually for pistol and revolver BULLETS, ( not round ball for BP revolvers), the alloys do harden just a little by sitting for a few days. Attempts to harden bullets further have been done by heating them in ovens, and then cooling them quickly by dousing them into cold water, etc. but no real improvement in hardness occurs over just letting them sit for a couple of days. The degrees of added hardness is in the range of 1-2 degrees of Brinell Hardness, and is not enough change to spend much time doing, or worrying about. The higher the Antimony content, the more Hardening is involved, because Antimony hardens lead, but can also make lead more brittle, so it shatters rather than flows on impact.

People have played around with CAST BULLETS for years, trying to get different kinds of performance. Mostly it fails. The hard alloys, that have lots of antimony and tin, are just very difficult to run through Lubresizers, wearing out machines, and men who are trying to size them on manually operated machines.

MY shoulder got the sorest, I swear, the night I helped my father size some very hard cast alloy bullets he wanted to test. Dad Volunteered "Me" to do this after his shoulder began to hurt. The bullets were so hard, they did not expand well to take the rifling in his revolver, and accuracy suffered. He was trying to see if it was possible to cast a bullet hard enough to pierce metal car doors reliably. He did make up some semiwadcutters of hard alloy, but put a steel BB down in the mold before pouring each bullet. With that " steel " nose, the bullets did knofe through car doors from about any angle, but that is another story.

Don't " Age " cast round balls. Its very counter-productive to what you are wanting a round ball to do when shot out of a muzzleloader, both inside the barrel, and when it impacts a target(game).

Teton Ted said:
Thought I read somewhere that a shooter should age new cast ball or bullets befor shooting in his gun.If true,how long should one age new casts and why? Thanks much for your input. Teton Ted

Ageing lead might be like trying to youthfullize Hillary. :rotf: :rotf: SORRY :doh:

Ted,

By "aging" are you refering to the oxidation that makes the shiny new balls turn to a grey, rough surface? I've read where some folks claim that the rough surface grabs the patch better. I've never noticed a difference but I will spray WD40 on freshly cast balls and put em in a zip-lock bag to keep em shiny. Just a quirk of mine. But after a day of bouncin around in my ball bag they turn grey and rough. GW

greetings ted,

some alloys used in cartridge guns should be stored before shooting. it's not uncommon for the real accuracy nuts to store them for a year to achive ultimate 'flatness' in the hardness curve.

fortunatly for us, pure lead changes very little over time. so, shoot them rascals as soon as they are cool. unless you are an accuracy nut :wink: if you are, then let them set for 30 days..

..ttfn..grampa..

On another note of inquiry!
If you use strip pillow ticking...which side does the printed strips face?...next to the ball or towards the powder?....Should the pattern lines run up and down or across the muzzle's face?

Sorry!..... :bull:

Back