• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Aging look for brass framed revolver.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my cousin bought a Pietta 1860 Army Kit from DGW...he also bought a 1851 Brass Framed Navy Kit. He wants to finish both as if they are aged. How do you give the brass and steel that aged look?

I want to hear this, mine is just everyday wear and tear but it sounds like you want to speed up the process.

Aging of brass. Place brass parts in lg plastic ziplock bag with crumpled news paper and white vinegar hang this out of the way. This will take about 24 to 48 hours. Afterwards should look 100 years old. As for the steel you mite be able to do it the same way, not sure. I have done this to tin thou and works fine.
With tin (steel) it took 4 to 6 hours to get that old look. In the picture the brass oval and tin box were shiny new when I started. I put them in there own bags also. Keep a watch on the steel because it will react much quicker. Got this info from a fellow member on this forum a few months ago. Good luck.
Maurice

Attachments

• tins.png
    tins.png
    322.9 KB · Views: 66
Put just enough vinegar to soak the news paper and a little puddle in the bottom of the bag

I want to hear this, mine is just everyday wear and tear but it sounds like you want to speed up the process.
Well he thinks it will look "Cool" when he dresses up with his re-enactment buddies. He just joined a Civil War re-enactment group that his brother belongs to. I'm joining too, just NOT on the Union side.. ;)

To antique brass,take about 4-5 grains to blackpowder in an open top container I use an old ashtray, light the powder and take the ash and rub it on all brass surfaces, do this a couple of times and then let sit over night. Next morning rub with soft clean fannel cloth.
Any of you fellows who shoot black powder cartridge guns know what your fired brass looks like if left uncleaned for a couple of days.

Does he have access to the youtubes? Check out the videos from Blackie Thomas:

This man is an expert in the percussion revolver and a master woodsman. He has an entire series on cap and ball revolvers.

I was going to link this video! Blackie is a great provider of BP knowledge. Also see Mike belaveiw if you haven't

Latest posts

Back